Re: James Joyce

---------

From: jw (jmwjeann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 17 2003 - 06:57:22 PDT

Hi. Curious. I was thinking that Joyce referred to the artist's
resistance to accept "blame" for interpretations placed upon or
reactions to the artwork -- sort of a relinquishing of control. I'm not
sure if I agree, but I'm going to bring home a copy of Portrait of the
Artist as a Young Man when I next make a run to the library. Thanks for
nudging me to include summer reading other than travel books or Brit.
mysteries. J.

jaugusta@adelphia.net wrote:

> The irresponsibility Joyce refers to is the artist's right to make
> something completely useless--or anti-utilitarian if you prefer.
>
> "Irresponsibility is part of the pleasure of all art; it is
> the part the schools cannot recognize." (James Joyce)

---