Tile Drawings - from middle school site

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 20:30:45 PDT

For the list member who was interested in tile drawing lesson plan:
http://hw.com/academics/msvisualarts/G_VA7_Tile%20Drawings_pg1.htm
(copy and past URL if too long) - or go to this site
http://hw.com/academics/msvisualarts/ - 7th grade gallery.

I "talked" to Andrew today and he will ask Ginny to put the lesson plan
online. In the meantime, look at Islamic art for inspiration:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/islamic.htm

Have student design their tile on one six inch square and rotate in around
to fill a 12" inch square keeping the center point the same all around. You
could transfer the image from a 6" sqaure planning paper using seral
transfer paper - or by putting graphite on the back.

I have a lesson similar for radial balance on IAD (scroll down to the
elementary plan):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/Larry-radial.htm
You would have students make a design that is geometric in nature.
They could even design it on a 6" square folded along the diagonal.
For a more complex tile design - see Bunki's Tile prints:

Click Islamic Tiles in the left frame.

Sorry to post to the whole list -- but I had already deleted the original
post.
I had to go back to the sitee myself to see what the Tile Drawing lesson
was.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department