Help for your mask units - and all social studies integration

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 19:44:14 PDT

I just happened across this site. This is great to help you review the
cultures you are teaching - especially if you are trying to present many at
one time. Students wouldn't want to cite this for research - but can use it
to introduce themselves to the cultures.

New World Cultures (North America - Meso America - South America):
http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/cultural/newworld/index.shtml
Has links to all of the ethnic groups - gives brief geographic location and
info about each culture.
It would be even better if it had examples of their art work - Well I guess
we can't have everything (but you could steal the information and paste in
some images for handouts - smile).

Goes into more detail for Minnesota Cultures:
http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/history/mncultures/index.shtml

Old World Cultures (although some European ones are missing):
http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/cultural/oldworld/index.shtml

This section was interesting too:
http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/cultural/ethnoarchaeology/index.shtml

For those interested in making connections with music AND social studies
http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/cultural/music/index.shtml

And for those who want to go all out - bring in the food!
http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/cultural/foods/culture.html

This is all from the EMuseum - Minnesota Stete Universtiy
http://emuseum.mnsu.edu/ Also has a section on Prehistory and History (many
the same)- I have the Egyptian one linked from my page on Ancient
Civilizations - browse the other cultures to see if they are useful to you.
I think all of the information on this site is the result of student
research - student projects. In checking some of the links used for
reference - it is not a site for your students to use who are doing research
on their own. They would want to cite more authoritative sites.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/