Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

An Explanation for lack of Iroquois mask images

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 18:41:22 PDT

Here is the policy for Iroquois False Face masks:

I am sure a more authorative site could be found that would have the same
information posted - this was just the first one that popped up. After
reading this - there is no way I would do a lesson having my students
duplicate the false face mask style (I never had my students use false face
anyway). I still think it is OK for students to know about the masks - and
know why they are no longer in museums for viewing.

The site that was posted earlier today has a revision to this policy that it
is now OK for Iroquois to sell mask that they make for commercial purposes -
masks that are not "blessed".

Judy Decker
Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department