RE: James Joyce

---------

From: Jeanne Voltura (jvoltura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 13:58:57 PDT

MessageI can see both sides of this...pure freedom..are we capable of pure
freedom in our own art if we have been educated by our institiutions and
told what is right and what is wrong in terms of images and art? I think we
are only free to make images that are purely "irresponsible" when we don't
really care what others think...but, I think all artists want to please some
audience on some level...so, maybe as artists continue their lives and
continue to be able to make art (if allowed or able to do so in terms of
finances) that sometime in their life through trial and error and
frustration and the process of making images, they will be able to reach the
notion of "irresponsible" sometime...at least once in their life long art
process....I think its important to define "irresponsible" though...I like
the certain dictionary definition: "not responsible, answerable, or
accountable to a higher authority"...I think its the responsibility of an
artist to be able to stand up and tell why she/he is making what they are
making so people can understand what they mean....but, in making, I think to
be free to make is essential to growth...if you don't have freedom to be
irresponsible, then you will not grow and will become stagnant and never
changing in your art...great and interesting quote though...thanks!!