Re: Iroquois false face masks -Thanks

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 16 2003 - 09:09:58 PDT

I couldn't find "authoritative" sites - museum sites.

I did have that link link.....but this explains the difficulty in finding
images:
http://www.chichesterinc.com/False%20Face%20Controversy.htm

When I searched for Iroquois False Face Museum - I found that many of the
masks have been returned to the tribes. There are several sites out there
with information about the False Face Societies.

This site has some "authentic" masks - but the photographs are not very
good - kind of small.
http://gallery.sjsu.edu/masks/Imagesfram.html
I did search the Smithsonian site - All that came up was a reference to a
grass mask. The Thomas Gilcrease Museum in Tulsa doesn't have a search
feature on the site....and I couldn't find a web site for New York Museum of
Natural History. The creator of this mask site must have worked from scanned
photographs from books. Probably the best source for images authentic Native
American masks is going to be from books.

Thanks for posting the link again. Someone may have missed it. This is the
site I posted with corn husk masks too. I have one authentic image from a
museum that I saved several years ago. I just don't know what museum housed
it. I "cheated" and linked it to the milk jug lesson plan:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/images/Iroquoisemask.jp

I have seen some wonderful masks made from braided brown paper toweling
using the milk jug as a from.

Judy