Re: certification question

---------

From: Betty Bowen (albertbandura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 20:41:35 PDT

I am in my third year teaching Middle School art, I have a k-12 Art certificate, no education degree, a BA in Art and an MFA. My state calls it "alternative placement". I took the same teacher exams, one Methods course and one Psychology course -both online, one from Iowa State and one from Oklahoma State, both excellent courses. I had three years after date of hire to take the courses. My cousin, who has had a 20 year successful graphic design and illustration career but who realized he had basically turned into a computer programmer, is also getting certified to teach art. He has more classes to take than I, since he has only the BA, but he has already passed the tests and can start looking for work this year (I'd hire him in a minute).

Whichever certification track you choose, this list can be your best resource. Good luck and welcome.

Also, find and read Harry Wong's book The First Day of School.

Betty in OK