Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Masks - General - Italy - Greek - South America

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 18:40:21 PDT

These will not all be posted on my site - save if interested - copy and
paste long URLs - I didn't take the time to shorten them. I am not doing any
more mask seraches.

Some general sites (some have already been posted)

Another Face- Masks Around the World:

Masks by George Ulrich - Milwaukee Public Museum -article

Lesson Plan:
What Masks Reveal - EDSITEment

EDSITEment - Lesson Plan - The Meaning Behnd the Mask:

Functions and forms of Masks (originally from Encyclopedia Britannica)

Masks in the World - Brief explanation for seveal cultures

Mask Article from Encarta - Contains several illustrative images. Gives you
the option of printable page.

Masks Multi Media Project - Masks from 22 countries - seven sets of images
to explore. Does not give cultural information: Might be fun to use some of
these in a guessing game - match with the right culture.

Mask images from many cultures - use to compare and contrast - little
information is given:

Check Novica for contemporary masks- Balinese, Mexican, African, Peruvian,
Indian, Brazilian.

South America

Contemporary Inca Mask:

Mask from Argentinea:

Peruvian metal:

Peru Ceremonial Mask:

Mask of Fange Deity - Moche:

Mask Bolivia - paper mache - plaster - University of Missouri

Masks of Bolivia:

Dance Masks - Boliva (Indigo Arts):

Bolivia Carnavale (some photos)

Diablada Mask - Bolivia:

Miniature masks from Bolivia:

Masks of Bolivia (in spanish):

Gold Quimbaya Mask - Columbia:

Lion Mask - Brazil:

Inca Funerary maks - see Gold:

Caraja Mask -South America:

Reconstructed tragic mask - 3-D view:
Links to theater:

Masks from Greek Tragedy:

Gold Mask from Philip II

Mask of Agamemnon Mycenaean gold funerary mask (Agamemnon)

Greek Theater Masks - poor images

Information on Greek Theater:
Guide to ancient Greek Theater - images missing:

Greek Masks:

Greek mask reproductions:

Tragic image:

Comic image:

Actors with masks:

Student designed Greek masks (for an Art History course):

Fun memory game activity for Greek masks:

Links to theater costume (I did not check these):

India (I gave up on India - Does anyone have some sites?)

Masks of India-Kamat's Potpourri

Italy - Venetian (also see carnival masks posted the other day)

Carnival of Venice - some history:

Florentine Masks (California Company) - Italian style masks:

Roman Parade Helmet Mask:

Someone else can search for Polynesia - Oceania - New Guinea etc.... I am
done searching for masks. If I find any good links on Polynesian/Oceanic art
that has masks I will mention them. Post any good Oceanic mask list you find
to the list since so many are interested.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department