RE: certification question

---------

From: Jeanne Voltura (jvoltura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 15 2003 - 14:07:26 PDT

Hi Carol,

I think all states are very different...and I think in some states its based
on timing...for instance, I have my masters degree in art (no ed
background)...and am in Nevada...this is a state of huge growth and they
cannot keep up with the growth in the education system...they need teachers
badly...they advertise about it on tv...and I think they will accept anyone
with a bachelors degree and allow them to get certified as they
teach...which I think is like two years worth of classes in education...they
will allow you to take classes at night while you teach or on the
weekends...etc...I know some states have these kinds of programs...not sure
if where you are living has this...I am not teaching in the public
schools...I am teaching college and working for a childrens museum...but, a
friend of mine had her masters in photography and one of the magnet high
school here (its the Las Vegas Art Academy High School-both visual and
performing arts) was looking for a photo teacher...and someone recommmended
her for the job...and she got it...they rushed her through being certified
because she had her masters in photo and had taught at the community
college...and with her masters in photography...she was able to start at a
higher rate of pay...so, a masters does help...it seems like a strange
process in this state...Nevada is not known for its high education
standards...but I think they are trying to make it better year by year...its
just they need better teachers...I think they rush people through the system
faster than they should...sometimes I think if they are desperate enough,
they will take anyone...now, the economy might alter this process in the
near future...but thats how things look here...you might look to see if they
have a way of letting you go to school as you teach in your state...since
you already have a bachelors in art, they just might do that...good luck!

I am also new to this artnet list and its pretty cool to see how active it
is...I might also be able to use some of your information at the Children's
Museum here in Las Vegas...I program all the arts and cultural
activities...so, all the mask making and cultural visual info is really
great...thanks!!! If anyone is interested in information on Los dias de los
Muertos...I can pass on what I have written and programmed here...lots of
cool art activities...just let me know...

Jeanne