Native American Masks links - HELP!

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 17:58:20 PDT

All who want to view Native American mask sites of value will have to help
find them. I have searched -- and searched...and searched....I am wondering
if all of the False Face Masks in museums have been given back to the
Iroquois? I can not find ANYTHING on line of value. There are lots of
commercial sites - especially Northwest Coast. I could not find even one
Iroquois False Face (historical) online.

This is what I have - I am done with Native American - all who are
interested can chip in and help find resources you will use. I posted
several Northwest Coast artists with the contemporary list that you can add
on here.

Save this post - I may not get all of these online.

Americas - Native American

Iroquois Mask (from Transformations: Masking Traditions in America):
http://www.recursos.org/masks/slide12.html

Iroquois Medicine Mask:
http://www.astralresearch.org/AstralResearchOrg.html?pax-iroquois

Iroquois Mask - 1900
http://www.ledermuseum.de/vollbild/seiten/23_e.htm

Contemporary Iroquois False Face:
http://www.snowgoose.on.ca/native/native2.htm
http://www.snowgoose.on.ca/native/false.htm (some information)
http://www.chichesterinc.com/FalseFaceMasks.htm (contemporary)

Detailed lesson on Iroquois False Face Society (for middle school):
http://www.oceanofk.org/sites/Art/Mask/html/mask1.html

Iroquois Corn Hush Masks - Logan Museum:
http://www.beloit.edu/~museum/logan/catalog/namerica/northeast/iroquois/

Haida Art - Canadian Museum of Civilizations:
http://www.civilization.ca/aborig/haida/haaindxe.html
Search for Masks - Canadian Museum of Civilizations.

Transformation Mask - Canadian Museum of Civilizations:
http://www.civilization.ca/aborig/grand/gh13eng.html

What is Haida Art- Virtual Museum:
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Inuit_Haida/haida/english/art/

Haida Secret Society Masks:
http://www.civilization.ca/tresors/treasure/240eng.html

Tsimshian Mask
http://www.civilization.ca/tresors/treasure/225eng.html

Dorset Masks:
http://www.civilization.ca/tresors/treasure/254eng.html

Northwest Coast Native American Mask - essay (Informative but poor quality
images)
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/course/60-105/finals/Cumming_M/'cumming_m.html

Northwest Cultures (brief summary)
http://www.canadianindianart.com/artGallery.nsf/CulturesAndMasks?OpenPage
http://www.northwest-connection.com/Pages/nations.htm
Meaning of some of the symbols:
http://www.canadianindianart.com/artGallery.nsf/ArtRepresentations?OpenPage
http://www.canoepass.com/symbols.htm
http://www.northwest-connection.com/Pages/symbols.htm

Transformations: Masking Traditions of the Americas:
http://recursos.org/masks/yupik.html

Transformation - Exhibit of contemporary mask makers of Pacific Northwest:
http://www.stoningtongallery.com/previous_trans2000.htm

Microsoft Art Collection- Northwest coast masks - Click on thumbnails to see
larger images and read information about each piece:
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/artcollection/exhibitions/nwart/masks.htm

Down from the Shimmering Sky: Masks of the Northwest Coast:
http://www.tfaoi.com/newsm1/n1m204.htm

Richard Hunt -contemporary Northwest Coast - Kwakiutl
http://collections.ic.gc.ca/artists/hunt_richard.html
http://www.richardhunt.com/

Coastal Arts - Commercial site - Online gallery. Has high quality images -
work by contemporary Northwest Coast artists - Gives a brief biography of
the artist.
http://www.coastalarts.net/site/mask/index.html

Alaska - Arctic

Agayuliyararput: Our Way of Making Prayers -Excellent site from Universtiy
of Michigan
http://www.si.umich.edu/chico/yupik/yupik.html
Online version of the Yup'ik Eskimo Mask Exhibit: Agayuliyararput (Our Way
of Making Prayer). This exhibit brings together Yup'ik masks preserved in
different museums from around the world, with the stories these masks tell,
collected from Yup'ik elders.
Interactive - multimedia Online exhibit from National Museum of Natural
History:
http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/features/yupik/index.html

Living Tradition of Yup'ik Masks - several images and background
information:
http://www.tribalarts.com/feature/riordan/index.html

People of the Artic: Arctic Studies Center (good for costume):
http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/features/croads/people.html
Alaskan Masks:
http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/features/croads/amasks.html

Tunghak Tribe mask - southwest Alaska:
http://www.asianart.com/articles/murray/35.html

Asymmetrical Mask - Eskimo - Alaska -Getty ArtsEdNet:
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/images/M/eskimo.html

Greenlandic Masks (Arctic)
http://www.greenland-guide.gl/masks/the-masks.htm

Judy Decker - Ohio