Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Masks of Africa

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 11:09:54 PDT

I am done searching for mask sites of Africa - there are SO many commercial
sites out there - you could spend all day surfing and not see them all. Also
nearly every museum has African masks in their collection. I have listed
just a few here.

Check my site for more university and museum sites - I have not listed them

Art of the African Mask - Bayly Art Museum, University of Virginia African masks in this
exhibition are dramatic portraits of spirit beings, departed ancestors, and
invisible powers of social control.
See more images from the Bayly Collection - organized by ethnic group:

Masks of the Sacred Bush- Sierra Leone - Yale Peabody Museum
ArtsNet Minnesota Lesson - Sierra Leone (from lesson on Identity)

African Art Museum (commercial site - has lots of images and gives
information about the people):

Art and Life of Africa - Search the Stanley Collection - enter mask:
Art and Life of Africa (home)

Musee of Paris - Magical Faces of Africa (masks) Paris Museum (has pop up

Hamill Gallery - has lots of images of masks (click on masks in left frame):

In the Presents of Spirits - from the National Museum of African Art-
excellent online exhibit. West Africa and Central Africa

Explore African Art Collection:
This is great for your own personal research. Explore it to see how you can
use it with students. Try searching Diversity - Mask:

African Masks - Information, Mask design project, and examples (graphic
illustration rather than photographs) - Great site for kids

Commercial site - but has good background information and quality images: - select category some history
(I will not be linking this site).

Masks and Headdresses at the Bayly Museum (site for kids):

Lots of links to check (in French - but most sites in English - some links

Commercial site - but has lots of images and information about the masks: (site home page)

There are many commercial sites and museum sites with images of African

There are also links on this site that I didn't check:
Another Face- Masks Around the World:

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department