Masks of Africa

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 14 2003 - 11:09:54 PDT

I am done searching for mask sites of Africa - there are SO many commercial
sites out there - you could spend all day surfing and not see them all. Also
nearly every museum has African masks in their collection. I have listed
just a few here.

Check my site for more university and museum sites - I have not listed them
all:
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/afrilink.htm

Art of the African Mask - Bayly Art Museum, University of Virginia
http://cti.itc.virginia.edu/%7Ebcr/African_Mask.html African masks in this
exhibition are dramatic portraits of spirit beings, departed ancestors, and
invisible powers of social control.
See more images from the Bayly Collection - organized by ethnic group:
http://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~bcr/Bayly/Bayly.html

Masks of the Sacred Bush- Sierra Leone - Yale Peabody Museum
http://www.peabody.yale.edu/exhibits/mende/
ArtsNet Minnesota Lesson - Sierra Leone (from lesson on Identity)
http://www.artsconnected.org/artsnetmn/identity/africa.html

African Art Museum (commercial site - has lots of images and gives
information about the people):
http://www.zyama.com/index.htm

Art and Life of Africa - Search the Stanley Collection - enter mask:
http://cas15.cas.uiowa.edu/pict_search.html
Art and Life of Africa (home) http://www.uiowa.edu/~africart/index.html

Musee of Paris - Magical Faces of Africa (masks) Paris Museum (has pop up
http://www.culturekiosque.com/art/exhibiti/index_me.htm

Hamill Gallery - has lots of images of masks (click on masks in left frame):
http://www.hamillgallery.com/

In the Presents of Spirits - from the National Museum of African Art-
excellent online exhibit. West Africa and Central Africa
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/spirits/index.htm

Explore African Art Collection: http://www.nmafa.si.edu/pubaccess/index.htm
This is great for your own personal research. Explore it to see how you can
use it with students. Try searching Diversity - Mask:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/pubaccess/pages/divfrm.htm

African Masks - Information, Mask design project, and examples (graphic
illustration rather than photographs) - Great site for kids
http://www.artyfactory.com/africanmasks/index.htm

Commercial site - but has good background information and quality images:
http://www.rebirth.co.za/African_mask.htm - select category
http://www.rebirth.co.za/African_mask_history_and_meaning.htm some history
(I will not be linking this site).

Masks and Headdresses at the Bayly Museum (site for kids):
http://www.virginia.edu/artmuseum/VirtualExhibitions/african/intro.html

Lots of links to check (in French - but most sites in English - some links
broken):
http://www.unil.ch/gybn/Arts_Peuples/Ex_Africa/Initiation/them_masq.htm

Commercial site - but has lots of images and information about the masks:
http://www.africaclub.com/mascaing.htm
http://www.africaclub.com/homeingl.htm (site home page)

There are many commercial sites and museum sites with images of African
masks.

There are also links on this site that I didn't check:
Another Face- Masks Around the World:
http://gallery.sjsu.edu/masks/menu.html

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com