Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Contemporary Mask Makers

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 21:07:16 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Folks have been looking for contemporary mask makers. There is lots more out
there for Northwest Coast wood carvers. I just have a couple listed that
were linked to Maskmakers Web . I did not
search the category of leather masks as those didn't interest me. If you
search - post any good ones you find to the list. If you come across any
good sites for contemporary maskmakers in other media - post those, too. I
am done searching for contemporary. Below - there are many cultural links
mixed in. Many of these will not be linked to my site - I am just listing so
you can get images if you wish.

Duncan Eagleson - leather masks

Becky Kravetz- Sculptured Arias Series:

Puno, Peru - Javier Challcha Sarasa

John Kailukiak Qaluyaarmiut - Yup'ik - Nelson Island Eskimo.

Rainwalker Studios - Laurie Raines: spiritual masks -ancestors - story
tellers. Some interesting work

Michael Chase - Theater masks - made with a durable paper mache, celastic,
or leather - used for drama training:

Masks by Nina Barlow - paper mache and pulp:

Richard Hunt - Kwakiutl Northwest Coast: Richard Hunt's site (more work)

Paper/paper mache, cellulose, white glue, water colour, acrylic paint,
waterbased varnish, flax, wooden African beads, feathers from from Danish

Wood masks by Albertas Zulkus - Lithuania

Roger Evers (won't be linking this):

Beverly Toyu Ceramic Life Masks:

Judith Costello "Moon Mask" - will not be linking this:

Ceramic masks Louis Mendez- New York - has some interesting ceramic

Ceremonial Gallery - Artists of British Columbia:

YOSHIKAWA TOURYU - Wood masks from Japan (I probably won't link this)

Hans-Godo Fräbel - glass masks:

See Novica for contemporary masks from many cultures - click on region then
on Masks:

Eric Siegel - papier mache masks

Gourd masks - Opie and Linda O'Brien - USA

Ceramic Masks by Bernadette Bonafous and Jean Marie Giorgia - France (I will
not be linking this site):

David "Dakan" Allison. Ceramic masks - Hawaii Samurai and native designs

Dominique Blanchard - Ceramic Masks - born in France - living in USA:

Lou Cacioppo - Alaskan artist - carved wood mixed media - view masks and
privately owned.

Maskwoman - Peggy Bjerkan - wonderful ceramics masks - view them all (I have
seen her work at Ann Arbor Art Fair)

Paul Hermans Ceramic masks painted with oils - Click on Theatre link at
left. View 13 to 24 individually (return by clicking star)- click on link
for 25 to 72.

Jake's Origami page (I will not be linking this):

Misha Saez - Sedona Arizona artist - shows Native American inspiration.
Bronze and resin cast

Lisa Goldberg - Ceramic masks - some nice ceramic objects, too:

Rochelle Ford - Palto Alto California - whimsical metal sculpture
masks -sculptures made from recycled metal and mixed media

Duane Pasco - Northwest style masks and art - view the portfolio and
available works:

Gene Brabant - Northwest coast style (may not link this)
Tony Hunt Jr.- Kwaguilth artist (brief bio)

Kirsten Gtiz Johansen (probably will not link this site) - wood masks -

Otto Paff Masks - carved wood - Germany (won't be linking this):

Japanese masks - Ryoji Otsuka - Site has English translation but mask pages
still in Japanese.

Jerry Laktonen - Alutiiq - Northwest - Kodiak, Alaska: (masks)

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department