Contemporary Mask Makers

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 21:07:16 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Folks have been looking for contemporary mask makers. There is lots more out
there for Northwest Coast wood carvers. I just have a couple listed that
were linked to Maskmakers Web http://www.maskmakersweb.org/ . I did not
search the category of leather masks as those didn't interest me. If you
search - post any good ones you find to the list. If you come across any
good sites for contemporary maskmakers in other media - post those, too. I
am done searching for contemporary. Below - there are many cultural links
mixed in. Many of these will not be linked to my site - I am just listing so
you can get images if you wish.

Duncan Eagleson - leather masks
http://www.shapeshiftermasks.com/

Becky Kravetz- Sculptured Arias Series:
http://www.operaart.com/sculptedarias/sculptedarias.html
http://www.endicott-studio.com/galbecke.html

Puno, Peru - Javier Challcha Sarasa
http://titicaca.ucsb.edu/chamak_pacha/docs/puno_costumes/

John Kailukiak Qaluyaarmiut - Yup'ik - Nelson Island Eskimo.
http://members.aol.com/klincoln45/kmasks.htm

Rainwalker Studios - Laurie Raines: spiritual masks -ancestors - story
tellers. Some interesting work
http://www.rainewalker.com/index2.htm

Michael Chase - Theater masks - made with a durable paper mache, celastic,
cloth
or leather - used for drama training:
http://www.mask-studio.co.uk/mask.htm

Masks by Nina Barlow - paper mache and pulp:
http://www.ninabarlow.com/

Richard Hunt - Kwakiutl Northwest Coast:
http://www.artsconnected.org/artsnetmn/inner/hunt.html
http://www.richardhunt.com/ Richard Hunt's site
http://www.blacktusk.ca/artists/hunt_richard.html (more work)

SUSAN MALBERG ALBERTSEN - Denmark http://www.maskeriet.dk/index-eng.htm
Paper/paper mache, cellulose, white glue, water colour, acrylic paint,
waterbased varnish, flax, wooden African beads, feathers from from Danish
chickens.

Wood masks by Albertas Zulkus - Lithuania http://www.zulkus.ot.lt/engver.htm

Roger Evers (won't be linking this):
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/a/artie/

Beverly Toyu Ceramic Life Masks:
http://www.pcez.com/~den/toyu/toyu.htm

Judith Costello "Moon Mask" - will not be linking this:
http://home.pacbell.net/jcostell/moonmask.html

Ceramic masks Louis Mendez- New York - has some interesting ceramic
sculptures
http://members.aol.com/mendezsoho/MasksMain.htm

Ceremonial Gallery - Artists of British Columbia:
http://www.aabc.com/ceremoni.htm

YOSHIKAWA TOURYU - Wood masks from Japan (I probably won't link this)
http://www.joho-shimane.or.jp/chushou_comp/yoshkawa/html/Untitled-e.html

Hans-Godo Fräbel - glass masks:
http://www.frabel.com/Studio/HGF/Masks/index.html

See Novica for contemporary masks from many cultures - click on region then
on Masks:
http://www.novica.com/region/index.cfm?action=region

Eric Siegel - papier mache masks
http://members.iglou.com/rick66/masks.html

Gourd masks - Opie and Linda O'Brien - USA
http://www.burntofferings.com/mask.htm

Ceramic Masks by Bernadette Bonafous and Jean Marie Giorgia - France (I will
not be linking this site): http://www.chez.com/carbassou/pcatalm.htm

David "Dakan" Allison. Ceramic masks - Hawaii Samurai and native designs
http://www.dakanarts.com/index.htm

Dominique Blanchard - Ceramic Masks - born in France - living in USA:
http://www.dominiquemasks.com/index.html

Lou Cacioppo - Alaskan artist - carved wood mixed media - view masks and
privately owned.
http://www.camaloustudio.com/

Maskwoman - Peggy Bjerkan - wonderful ceramics masks - view them all (I have
seen her work at Ann Arbor Art Fair)
http://www.maskwoman.com/

Paul Hermans Ceramic masks painted with oils - Click on Theatre link at
left. View 13 to 24 individually (return by clicking star)- click on link
for 25 to 72.
http://www.paulhermans.com/

Jake's Origami page (I will not be linking this):
http://home.earthlink.net/~jakecrowley/origami/Masks/Masks1.htm

Misha Saez - Sedona Arizona artist - shows Native American inspiration.
Bronze and resin cast http://www.mishamask.com/index.htm

Lisa Goldberg - Ceramic masks - some nice ceramic objects, too:
http://www.lisagoldbergceramics.com/masks.html

Rochelle Ford - Palto Alto California - whimsical metal sculpture
masks -sculptures made from recycled metal and mixed media
http://www.metalsculptor.com/masks/MASKS.html

Duane Pasco - Northwest style masks and art - view the portfolio and
available works:
http://www.duanepasco.com/

Gene Brabant - Northwest coast style (may not link this)
http://www.coghlanart.com/gene.htm
Tony Hunt Jr.- Kwaguilth artist
http://www.coghlanart.com/tony1.htm
http://www.coghlanart.com/tony.htm (brief bio)

Kirsten Gtiz Johansen (probably will not link this site) - wood masks -
Denmark
http://www.artguidedenmark.dk/KirstenGitz/

Otto Paff Masks - carved wood - Germany (won't be linking this):
http://www.pfaff-masken.de/holzmasken.htm

Japanese masks - Ryoji Otsuka - Site has English translation but mask pages
still in Japanese.
http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/four-season/intro/intro-e.html

Jerry Laktonen - Alutiiq - Northwest - Kodiak, Alaska:
http://www.hi-ho.ne.jp/four-season/intro/intro-e.html
http://www.whaledreams.com/Previews1.htm (masks)

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com