Smithsonian Interactive - Check the site for more!

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 09:52:44 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I am embarrassed to say I have not been to the Smithsonian site for while.
SO much new stuff has been added. I kept up pretty much with African art and
Native American art...but WOW! there is so much there to see. Below are just
a few of the "new to me" online presentations (and some goodies that have
been posted before). Great sites to share with your students. I will be
featuring the Smithsonian in August on Great Sites. My survey poeple are
looking for interactive sites that they can use with their students - post
great stuff you come across this summer.

Here is an excellent exhibit for a North West Coast Artist:
Instrument of Change
The work of Tlingit artist Jim Schoppert
http://www.conexus.si.edu/schoppert/flash4.htm

Neat Interactive exhibit on ceramics of Noguchi: http://www.asia.si.edu
Isamu Noguchi and Modern Japanese Ceramics
This playful interactive explores Japanese ceramics and Noguchi's life and
visits to Japan

Explore African Art Collection: http://www.nmafa.si.edu/pubaccess/index.htm
This is great for your own personal research. Explore it to see how you can
use it with students.

Contemporary Chinese artists - Great tie in with Calligraphy and unit on Art
with Text:
http://www.asia.si.edu/exhibitions/online/xubing/default.html
Word Play: Contemporary Art by Xu Bing
Language-based installations from a renowned Chinese artist

For those interested in Design - see Pierre Legrain (African inspired
furniture), Henry Dreyfuss, and Alexander Girard - Good for art career
lesson.

The Fabric of Moroccan Life - will interest those into textiles of cultures:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/fabric/index.html Some interactive
activities for students.

Ethiopian Icons Faith and Science (integrating Art and Science)
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/icons/index.html

And do look at Ethiopian Passages: dialogues in the Diaspora --10
contemporary artists
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/passages/enter.html
I particularly like these collage works:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/passages/wold.html
Ceramics of interest:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/passages/poulsen.html
Paper mache:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/passages/selassie.html
mixed media:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/passages/atnafu.html
digital art:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/passages/debela.html
You will want to take time to se them all....

The Jewels of Lalique - Rene Lalique:
http://ndm.si.edu/EXHIBITIONS/lalique/start.htm

Edward Hopper Scrapbook (this has been posted before):
http://americanart.si.edu/collections/exhibits/hopper/index.html

Olowe of Ise - Yoruba Sculptor:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/olowe/olowe.htm
I did a seventh grade ceramics project inspired by his work.

Edward Nelson's Collection of Yup'ik Masks
Native Alaskan Yup'ik masks presented from a Yup'ik perspective
http://www.mnh.si.edu/arctic/features/yupik/
Also see http://www.conexus.si.edu/map/yupgal.htm for contemporary Yup'ik
mask makers.

Contemporary Folk Art - 73 works from the collection:
http://americanart.si.edu/t2go/1fa/index.html

Audible Artworks - African Musical Instrument - great for interdisciplinary
connection with music:
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/aud_art/index.htm

Asian Traditions in clay - good source for images for your PowerPoint:
http://web4.si.edu/asia/exdoc/exhibition.cfm?ExhibitID=6

American Kaleidoscope:Themes and Perspectives in Recent Works - Excellent
exhibit for contemporary art from artists with diverse cultural backgrounds
(has several by Frank Romero). give some information about each artist. 14
contemporary artists.
http://americanart.si.edu/collections/exhibits/kscope/index.html

American Impressionism - presents 52 artworks:
http://americanart.si.edu/t2go/1ai/index.html

Lure of the West - Portraits and landscapes from the American west. 70
artworks form the collection - Well worth a visit.
http://americanart.si.edu/t2go/1lw/index.html

Those interested in textiles will want to see Honor and Comfort: Native
American Quilting:
http://www.conexus.si.edu/quilts2/index.htm and Woven by Grandmothers:
Navajo Weaving:
http://www.conexus.si.edu/wbg/index.htm

Tracking the Buffalo:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/hohr/buffalo/index.html This is great for
kids - What Story Does it Tell?:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/hohr/buffalo/hideactivity/index.html
http://americanhistory.si.edu/hohr/buffalo/abouthides_frmset.html More to
see!

Indian Humor - Excellent exhibit of contemporary work (this has been posted
before):
http://www.conexus.si.edu/humor/index.htm

Who Stole the Tee Pee - Contemporary Native American Art - excellent!:
http://www.conexus.si.edu/teepee/home/index.htm

A Concrete Vision: Oshogbo Art in the 1960's (Nigerian art):
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/oshogbo/top.htm

Posters American Style: Good for those looking for Graphic design.
http://americanart.si.edu/collections/exhibits/posters/index.html

Celebrity Caricature in America:
http://www.npg.si.edu/exh/caricatures/index.htm

Browse more at Art and Design - http://www.si.edu/art_and_design/ - Browse
by artist, by fields and by culture.

See more crafts and folk art:
http://www.si.edu/art_and_design/crafts_folk_and_decorative_arts/

History and Culture will give you more quality sites:
http://www.si.edu/history_and_culture/

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department