Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Smithsonian Interactive - Check the site for more!

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Fri Jun 13 2003 - 09:52:44 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

I am embarrassed to say I have not been to the Smithsonian site for while.
SO much new stuff has been added. I kept up pretty much with African art and
Native American art...but WOW! there is so much there to see. Below are just
a few of the "new to me" online presentations (and some goodies that have
been posted before). Great sites to share with your students. I will be
featuring the Smithsonian in August on Great Sites. My survey poeple are
looking for interactive sites that they can use with their students - post
great stuff you come across this summer.

Here is an excellent exhibit for a North West Coast Artist:
Instrument of Change
The work of Tlingit artist Jim Schoppert

Neat Interactive exhibit on ceramics of Noguchi:
Isamu Noguchi and Modern Japanese Ceramics
This playful interactive explores Japanese ceramics and Noguchi's life and
visits to Japan

Explore African Art Collection:
This is great for your own personal research. Explore it to see how you can
use it with students.

Contemporary Chinese artists - Great tie in with Calligraphy and unit on Art
with Text:
Word Play: Contemporary Art by Xu Bing
Language-based installations from a renowned Chinese artist

For those interested in Design - see Pierre Legrain (African inspired
furniture), Henry Dreyfuss, and Alexander Girard - Good for art career

The Fabric of Moroccan Life - will interest those into textiles of cultures: Some interactive
activities for students.

Ethiopian Icons Faith and Science (integrating Art and Science)

And do look at Ethiopian Passages: dialogues in the Diaspora --10
contemporary artists
I particularly like these collage works:
Ceramics of interest:
Paper mache:
mixed media:
digital art:
You will want to take time to se them all....

The Jewels of Lalique - Rene Lalique:

Edward Hopper Scrapbook (this has been posted before):

Olowe of Ise - Yoruba Sculptor:
I did a seventh grade ceramics project inspired by his work.

Edward Nelson's Collection of Yup'ik Masks
Native Alaskan Yup'ik masks presented from a Yup'ik perspective
Also see for contemporary Yup'ik
mask makers.

Contemporary Folk Art - 73 works from the collection:

Audible Artworks - African Musical Instrument - great for interdisciplinary
connection with music:

Asian Traditions in clay - good source for images for your PowerPoint:

American Kaleidoscope:Themes and Perspectives in Recent Works - Excellent
exhibit for contemporary art from artists with diverse cultural backgrounds
(has several by Frank Romero). give some information about each artist. 14
contemporary artists.

American Impressionism - presents 52 artworks:

Lure of the West - Portraits and landscapes from the American west. 70
artworks form the collection - Well worth a visit.

Those interested in textiles will want to see Honor and Comfort: Native
American Quilting: and Woven by Grandmothers:
Navajo Weaving:

Tracking the Buffalo: This is great for
kids - What Story Does it Tell?: More to

Indian Humor - Excellent exhibit of contemporary work (this has been posted

Who Stole the Tee Pee - Contemporary Native American Art - excellent!:

A Concrete Vision: Oshogbo Art in the 1960's (Nigerian art):

Posters American Style: Good for those looking for Graphic design.

Celebrity Caricature in America:

Browse more at Art and Design - - Browse
by artist, by fields and by culture.

See more crafts and folk art:

History and Culture will give you more quality sites:

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department