Re: new member, question about what to post

---------

From: MAK ~ MaryAnn Kohl (mak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 18:06:21 PDT

I'm excited to share an idea from my new book, Storybook Art: Hands-On Art
for Children in the Styles of 100 Great Picture Book Illustrators. [I wish I
could add in the illustrations for you, but I don't think the list accepts
attachments. OH WELL. There is the cutest little portrait of Marie Hall Ets
drawn by a child. In fact, all the portraits in the book are drawn by
various kids from age 5-16. And they are amazing.]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Imitate the drawing style of Marie Hall Ets, accenting the important
elements of pencil drawings with brown and white chalk.

Marie Hall Ets birth: December 16, 1895 ­ death: 1984
  łThe happiest memories of my childhood are of summers in the north woods
of Wisconsin. I loved to run off by myself into the woods and watch for the
deer with their fawns, and for porcupines, badgers, turtles, frogs and huge
pine snakes and sometimes a bear or a copperhead or a skunk.˛
        - Marie Hall Ets

Gilberto and the Wind € Marie Hall Ets, author & illustrator
A young boy named Gilberto finds a playmate with many moods - the wind!
Gilberto becomes involved in the windąs frolics and enjoys an adventure
playing and pretending with his new friend.

Accented Pencil

Materials
pencil
light green construction paper (or another chosen color)
brown chalk
white chalk
black colored pencil

Process
1. Look at the illustrations by Marie Hall Ets. Notice that she uses only
a very few colors to highlight her pencil drawings.
2. Begin by sketching a drawing on the green paper with pencil. Make the
drawing simple and large so it will be easy to color with chalk.
3. Next, accent parts of the drawing with white and brown chalk. Accent
means to make some parts of the drawing more colorful or special, while
other parts remain the same. Brown is useful for accenting skin tones, and
white for accenting clothing, or think of other ideas. Perhaps accent one of
the following suggestions:
      - the petals of a flower with white,
          and the grass with brown
      - a white cat with brown stripes,
          and a brown catnip mouse
      - white clouds in the sky,
          and a brown bird flying
4. Draw and color lightly with the chalk, blending chalk marks with a
cotton swab or fingertip.
5. Add more accents with regular pencil, soft drawing pencil, or black
colored pencil.

Variation
Accent colors with art materials other than chalk ­
  € tempera paint
  € crayon
  € colored pencil
  € oil pastel