Re: need Studio building advice

---------

From: Karen Chilman (ChilArt_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2003 - 18:09:54 PDT

I am (my husband) is in the process of building an art studio at my home. It is 26' x 48' in dutch barn type style. I have a green metal roof...tons of North light with glass end on the North side. It is on concrete.
More than half is open space for classes and just room to do big stuff....
the south end is enclosed into three separate room areas...a pottery room that will be metal on the ceilings and walls to spray down...
a bathroom complete with shower and a storage room....all wall heights are 10'....
above the enclosed room areas is a loft space that will be used for office/extra bedroom space. There are french doors that will eventually open up to a deck off the south side. I'm thinking of doing an artist's B&B at some point and time.
This building has taken three years to get enclosed as we have cut all the lumber for it from our farm. I have an art camp for kids here two weeks in the summer. They have seen it come from a rock base of where the studio will be three years ago, to a concrete slab two years ago and last year we had the studded walls and roof on. This year it is enclosed but not finished out on the inside. I was lucky to find five science lab tables that have electrical outlet around the top to put inside as well as some lockers and stainless sinks...it is amazing what people will give away. Good luck, if you would like pictures e-mail me off list.
Karen