Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Mexican Masks - and more - GREAT World Site

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 22:25:45 PDT

Well I think it is about time I call it a day! I have had fun exploring mask
sites. DO check the first one I have posted. It is a great one for
kids....and has many cultures represented. Most of the links I have here are
for Mexican masks -- with a few more thrown in so I wouldn't forget them.
Save this post - as all of these links will not go on my site. There are
more Mexican Folk art mask sites online - I couldn't list them all. Sorry,
you will have to copy and past long URL's I didn't take the time to make
shorter links.

Another Face- Masks Around the World Great site! Has information about
masks - images of masks (although it doesn't tell much about each mask) -
activities, games and links to more mask information on the Internet. I
that many of the links were broken - but there is still lots to see. A well
worth while site to take your students exploring mask around the world.
Masks from Africa, Americas, European, Pacific Masks, and modern masks (some
contemporary Native American included). I spent a lot of time on this site

Zarco Guerrero -mask maker - sculptor (Mexican American) See some of his work.
I found lots of links to reference of his theater masks and performance.

Interview with Guerrero:

This is the image that is in the Chicano Art book:
lots of Hispanic artists listed:

Grandmother Death puppet:
from Festival for victims of violence:

California Ethnic and Multicultural Archives:
Take some time to browse for more artists - some really nice work!
I like this Rupert Garcia Frida Kahlo:

Here is a neat sculptural "book" idea - could easily do this with kids
(maybe do personal heroes):
Wow - lots more ideas - I just checked through the assemblages.

See Latino Art in the community:
Check out the book artists and print artists
Nice site! Mexican Revolution of 1910 and its Legacy:

List of Chicana/o artists:

Herber College of fine Arts - scroll down:

Some info on Guerrero:

Mascaras Mexicanas - The Mexican Mask
as1.html (copy and paste so you get the whole URL)

Indigenous Dance/Drama/Carnival Masks from Mesoamerica:

Some history of Mexican Masks (Commercial site images are not of high
Mexican Wrestling Masks:

Novica Archaeological replicas:

Contemporary ceramic masks:

Tarasca Mask:

See Art and Crafts of Mexico on Novica:

Huichol masks:

The Arts of Transformation in the Americas: (see the masks -click on mask to
see slide show)

Dance mask from Mexico:

Huichol Indian Art -Masks:

Mexican Masks- Lakeview Museum:

Huichol beaded masks:

Transformations Mexican Masks - Museum Presentation Associates - 16 slides
available - images not of high quality

Mexican Masks - images not of high quality - site has dance accessories and
costumes, too

Mexican Masks: blend of mask relevant subjects directed toward both the
traveled collector of Latin American ethnic art as well as those interested
in Mexican culture.

Latin American Folk Art - has three pages of Mexican masks and information
and images about Huichol yarn painting:

Colonial Art - Guatemalan and Mexican dance masks - 3 pages of images: Lots of Colonial art on this site:

Hand Carved and Painted Wood Mexican Masks (small images - commercial site)

Milagros Catalog (commercial site - but some nice folk art samples)
see more Mexican Folk Art

Dos Mujeres Mexican Folk Art (commercial site):
Dos Mujeres home:

Mystical Transformations: Mexican Folk Masks (small images):

Mask maker Juan Horta Castillo:

Many more commercial sites online.

Dance Masks from Bolivia:

Masks from Nepal

Javanese Masks,

Masks from Bali

Northwest Native American: Coghlan Collection:

Masks of the world - Links to check:

Masks from Around the world - links to check:

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department