Mexican Masks - and more - GREAT World Site

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 22:25:45 PDT

Well I think it is about time I call it a day! I have had fun exploring mask
sites. DO check the first one I have posted. It is a great one for
kids....and has many cultures represented. Most of the links I have here are
for Mexican masks -- with a few more thrown in so I wouldn't forget them.
Save this post - as all of these links will not go on my site. There are
more Mexican Folk art mask sites online - I couldn't list them all. Sorry,
you will have to copy and past long URL's I didn't take the time to make
shorter links.

Another Face- Masks Around the World
http://gallery.sjsu.edu/masks/menu.html Great site! Has information about
masks - images of masks (although it doesn't tell much about each mask) -
activities, games and links to more mask information on the Internet. I
found
that many of the links were broken - but there is still lots to see. A well
worth while site to take your students exploring mask around the world.
Masks from Africa, Americas, European, Pacific Masks, and modern masks (some
contemporary Native American included). I spent a lot of time on this site
tonight.

Zarco Guerrero -mask maker - sculptor (Mexican American)
http://members.aol.com/zarkmask/ See some of his work.
I found lots of links to reference of his theater masks and performance.

Interview with Guerrero:
http://www.mjmgroup.com/Transcripts/Zarco_Guerro.htm

This is the image that is in the Chicano Art book:
http://www.uwrf.edu/history/prints/hisp/zarco-guerrero.html
lots of Hispanic artists listed:
http://www.uwrf.edu/history/hisp-amer-artists.html

Grandmother Death puppet:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~ifmls/usseafolder/victimsofV/pages/grandmadeath.h
tml
from Festival for victims of violence:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~ifmls/usseafolder/victimsofV/

California Ethnic and Multicultural Archives:
http://cemaweb.library.ucsb.edu/sculptures07.html
http://cemaweb.library.ucsb.edu/sculptures08.html
Take some time to browse for more artists - some really nice work!
I like this Rupert Garcia Frida Kahlo:
http://cemaweb.library.ucsb.edu/4x6/res318md.jpg

Here is a neat sculptural "book" idea - could easily do this with kids
(maybe do personal heroes):
http://cemaweb.library.ucsb.edu/assemblage01.html
Wow - lots more ideas - I just checked through the assemblages.

See Latino Art in the community:
http://latinoartcommunity.org/community/LAC.html
Check out the book artists and print artists
http://latinoartcommunity.org/community/ChicArt/ArtistDir/ZarGue.html
Nice site! Mexican Revolution of 1910 and its Legacy:
http://latinoartcommunity.org/community/Gallery/1910/index.html

List of Chicana/o artists:
http://www.library.arizona.edu/users/juarezm/chicana/artists.htm

Herber College of fine Arts - scroll down:
http://herbergercollege.asu.edu/public_art/asu_west.htm

Some info on Guerrero:
http://arts.endow.gov/partner/Japan3.html

Mascaras Mexicanas - The Mexican Mask
http://www.gattostock.com/GattoIng/GattoIng/FVIAJE/reportaje/mascaras/mascar
as1.html (copy and paste so you get the whole URL)

Indigenous Dance/Drama/Carnival Masks from Mesoamerica:
http://www.masksmesoamerica.com/

Some history of Mexican Masks (Commercial site images are not of high
quality):
http://www.anymask.com/masfrommex.html
Mexican Wrestling Masks:
http://www.anymask.com/mexwresmas.html

Novica Archaeological replicas:
http://www.novica.com/region/index.cfm?action=subcat&rID=7&scid=290

Contemporary ceramic masks:
http://www.novica.com/region/index.cfm?action=subcat&rID=7&scid=288

Tarasca Mask:
http://www.novica.com/region/index.cfm?action=subcat&rID=7&scid=820

See Art and Crafts of Mexico on Novica:
http://www.novica.com/region/index.cfm?action=region&rID=7&n=l

Huichol masks:
http://www.novica.com/region/index.cfm?action=subcat&rID=7&scid=308

The Arts of Transformation in the Americas:
http://www.recursos.org/masks/
http://www.recursos.org/masks/mask2.html (see the masks -click on mask to
see slide show)

Dance mask from Mexico:
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_mexmasks1.html

Huichol Indian Art -Masks:
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_huicholart2.html

Mexican Masks- Lakeview Museum:
http://www.lakeview-museum.org/pastexhibits/pics.html#lv1

Huichol beaded masks:
http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/huichol/art-masks1.html

Transformations Mexican Masks - Museum Presentation Associates - 16 slides
available - images not of high quality
http://www.mpaexhibits.com/Transformations_Mexican_Masks.html

Mexican Masks - images not of high quality - site has dance accessories and
costumes, too
http://www.mexicanmasks.net/

Mexican Masks: blend of mask relevant subjects directed toward both the
traveled collector of Latin American ethnic art as well as those interested
in Mexican culture.
http://www.mexicanmasks.us/

Latin American Folk Art - has three pages of Mexican masks and information
and images about Huichol yarn painting:
http://www.latinamericanfolkart.com/

Colonial Art - Guatemalan and Mexican dance masks - 3 pages of images:
http://www.colonialarts.com/masks.htm Lots of Colonial art on this site:
http://colonialarts.com/index.htm

Hand Carved and Painted Wood Mexican Masks (small images - commercial site)
http://www.casacorazon.com/masks2.html

Milagros Catalog (commercial site - but some nice folk art samples)
http://www.milagrosseattle.com/cgi-bin/catalog?cover=Masks
see more Mexican Folk Art http://www.milagrosseattle.com/

Dos Mujeres Mexican Folk Art (commercial site):
http://www.mexicanfolkart.com/masks.html
Alebrijes: http://www.mexicanfolkart.com/alibrijes.html
Dos Mujeres home: http://www.mexicanfolkart.com/

Mystical Transformations: Mexican Folk Masks (small images):
http://www.knoxart.org/html/exhibits/masks.htm

Mask maker Juan Horta Castillo:
http://www.galwest.com/folk_art/mexico/Juan_horta/default.html

Many more commercial sites online.

Dance Masks from Bolivia:
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_bolivmasks1.html

Masks from Nepal
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_asianart_nepalmsk1.html

Javanese Masks,
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_asianart_javamask1.html

Masks from Bali
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_asianart_balimask1.html

Northwest Native American: Coghlan Collection:
http://www.coghlanart.com/wood.htm

Masks of the world - Links to check:
http://www.ptsd.wednet.edu/district/resources/bookmarks/artresources.html

Masks from Around the world - links to check:
http://www.cmi.k12.il.us/~vanwalpa/computerlab/masks.html

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department