Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Antonio Martorell - Puerto Rican

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 21:38:48 PDT

Hi all -

I thought this guy would be interesting to do some
lesson planning with for several reasons. He's seems
to be pretty internationally recognized and is very
versitile, doing everything from illustrating
childrens book's to performance visuals at the
Kitchen. Turns out he even did a very cool project
here in Houston - recycled boxes used for dona provis

I ran across this installation at a school in New York

These dioramas were made to go with books he has
written or illustrated -
1995 –illustrated La canción del coquí y otros cuentos
de Puerto Rico (The Song of El Coquí and Other Tales
of Puerto Rico)

(…inspiration for textiles project, perhaps????)
proposal w/artist’s script

"Doña Provi's Garden"
"In an age inclined to buy and waste, to discard and
dispose, I propose to create greenery out of trash, a
cardboard garden made of discarded home appliance
boxes, used lettered packaging, the raw or over-cooked
stuff of which consumer dreams are made."
"House for Us All." - In 1992, El Museo del Barrio in
New York City
 In this installation, the artist presented a house of
childhood visions&emdash;of boundless
possibility&emdash;one where walls were built with
maps charting the literary adventures of the writers
he admired as a boy&emdash;Mark Twain, Robert Louis
Stevenson, Alexandre Dumas, Jules Verne and Victor

Albany visiting artist

graphic arts (I like his combination of text an image)
Puerto Rican-born artist Antonio Martorell vivifies
the verses of renowned poets Pablo Neruda and Ernesto
Cardenal, weaving calligraphic text with imagery in
elegant and visceral prints.

Just sharing in the event someone else is interested -

Do you Yahoo!?