Neat Mexican Folk Art Sculpture idea - middle/elementary

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 20:04:46 PDT

I came across these tin nichos tonight that would be a great personal shrine
project.
http://www.mexicanfolkart.com/tin_nichos.html
Scroll down to see the hands, too. Kids would make their frame from tooling
foil. When my students made nichos for their Renaissance prints - they cut
the frame 1/4" larger all around and folded over the edge of a cardboard cut
to the size of their design so there wouldn't be sharp edges (ours were
architectural in shape - I had a lot of color photocopies of nichos). Make
sure when you cut the opening, you allow some to be folded back to avoid the
sharp edge - clip to the corner to fold to back side (my 7th graders were
able to cut their own openings - but you would want to help smaller
children). Attach the frames to a shadow box about 1" deep and have a
special painted treasure -- maybe a miniature self portrait (done in egg
tempera) -- or small sculpy figures -- or whatever. We used the frames for 5
x 7 etching prints done on hand made paper. I had plexglas cut to fit -- but
you wouldn't have to do the plexiglas (although most window places will give
you their scarps for free). You could have them paint the frames and accent
with paint markers. We antiqued ours with India ink. Some accented with
jewels. Our frames were kind of like these mirrors at shown at top:
http://www.mexicanfolkart.com/mirrors.html

See more Mexican folk art on this site http://www.mexicanfolkart.com/
Nice examples of Alibrijes http://www.mexicanfolkart.com/alibrijes.html

I have more links at: