Re: Altered Books - Michal

---------

From: Carolyn Roberts (croberts18_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 16:57:48 PDT

What kind of time frame did you allot for the Altered Books? Last semester,
my students were diligently working on theirs...and we had to stop to do a
special project...and then they lost interest. I couldn't get them
interested in working on it again.

I was thinking about having the students start one next year at the
beginning of the semester and work on it between different lessons...but I
want them to be able to stay interested in it. I thought that in between
other lessons, I would show them different things they could do in the book.

How do some of you handle this?
Carolyn

> I had 2 huge boxes of books of all different sizes and thicknesses. I let
> the students pick whichever one "felt" right to them. Some chose because
of
> the title of the book, some the thickness, some liked big books, some
liked
> some graphics they found. I would say that each student is going to have
> their own idea of what an altered book should be, and I didn't want to
> stifle mine. I made up several transparancies of what they "could" do of
> various altered books I'd found ont the internet. They had to alter their
> book, but I really didn't say much more to them, except those few kids who
> decided they were done because working in class was just "too much work"
> (I'm sure nobody else has that problem, but I sure have some lazy ones!)
> Those were the only ones I offered ideas to, suggestions, cattle prods,
etc.
> I would make sure you have more books than students so they do have
choices.
> Next fall when I do this project again I am going to spend a few days
> teaching them some different techniques such as marbling, painting,
> encaustic, etc. just so they have more options available. I am working on
> techniques book with the Altered Book group I joined, so I will post what
> learn as soon as I get it all back. :-)
> ~Michal

---