Re: Altered Books - Michal

---------

From: The Austin's (whest177_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 16:40:24 PDT

I had 2 huge boxes of books of all different sizes and thicknesses. I let
the students pick whichever one "felt" right to them. Some chose because of
the title of the book, some the thickness, some liked big books, some liked
some graphics they found. I would say that each student is going to have
their own idea of what an altered book should be, and I didn't want to
stifle mine. I made up several transparancies of what they "could" do of
various altered books I'd found ont the internet. They had to alter their
book, but I really didn't say much more to them, except those few kids who
decided they were done because working in class was just "too much work"
(I'm sure nobody else has that problem, but I sure have some lazy ones!)
Those were the only ones I offered ideas to, suggestions, cattle prods, etc.
I would make sure you have more books than students so they do have choices.
Next fall when I do this project again I am going to spend a few days
teaching them some different techniques such as marbling, painting,
encaustic, etc. just so they have more options available. I am working on a
techniques book with the Altered Book group I joined, so I will post what I
learn as soon as I get it all back. :-)
~Michal

> Michal, Tell me about the altered books I just saw on your
> site. What kind of books should I save. The surplus sale
> is next week and I am also the librarian so I can save out
> some old books if I act quickly...how thick? Did you
> alter the cover or is the title important? Any suggestions
> before the books are gone?

---