Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Caribbean masks -Carnival - more

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 15:51:38 PDT

Here is a mix of Caribbean mask links (see my Puerto Rico, too) ....Carnival
masks....some Noh (I checked a link - more to come on Noh).....Mardi
Gras....and more. One link just led to another. Watch for more posts all
summer long. Save these in case I don't get them on my site. Collecting
links is the fun and easy part - putting them on the site takes a
considerable amount of work.

A site worth checking - Mask Makers Web:

Caribbean Maskmaking Tradition as a Basis for Projects in Sculpture

Caribbean Carnival (info):

Caribbean Carnivals - brief descriptions:

Dominican Republic Carnival Masks:
Ivan Erickson masks - native of Dominican Republic - now US citizen):

Metal Masks from Haiti:

Carnival Masks & Masguerade Mask in French and Italian Tradition: Lots of REALLY meat ideas.
Use wall paper and music scores for this idea - plus fabric trims
Maybe add window screen for this idea

Venice Carnival Masks (small images):

Venetian Carnival masks 0Gives brief history of Venetian carnival Masks:

Japanese Noh masks (gives brief information):

Carnival of Venice - a little history (browse the links to the left, too)

Indigenous Dance/Drama/Carnival Masks fro Mesoamerica (Great site):
Look up some of the individual artists given on this site to learn and see

Contemporary theater Maskmakers - look up some of these names to find
Some background on theater masks:

Japanese Noh Masks (commercial site - by excellent):
Process on how a Noh Hannya mask is made:
Oni Masks of the World:

How to make a plaster gauze mask:

How to make a Liquid Laytex Mask (this is for Halloween - but certainly is

Mask Appeal -From Whence a Mask (brief information):
Cultural Masks (brief information China and Native Culture Masks):

Modern Traditional Mask Makers - Pacific Northwest - look up these names for

Modern Maks makers - Look up these artists fro examples:

Lesson Plans for Mask Study and Creation

Mexican Masks:
a blend of mask relevant subjects directed toward both the traveled
collector of Latin American ethnic art as well as those interested in
Mexican culture.

Masks from Torres Strait (more to come on these):

Mardi Gras Masks (commercial site - but might spark some ideas):
Brief history of Mardi Gras:
Timeline of Mardi Gras History:
Mardi Gras Indians - brief information:
Mardi Gras Indians Tradition and History:
some images of Mardi Gras Indians:
Some more images of Mardi Gras Indian costumes:

Haitian Ceramic Masks:

Haitian carved mask:

Haitian Drum Art masks (commercial site - good for foil tooling project

More to come....Dawn, could you post your Mexican Mask links? Folks are

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department