Caribbean masks -Carnival - more

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 15:51:38 PDT

Here is a mix of Caribbean mask links (see my Puerto Rico, too) ....Carnival
masks....some Noh (I checked a link - more to come on Noh).....Mardi
Gras....and more. One link just led to another. Watch for more posts all
summer long. Save these in case I don't get them on my site. Collecting
links is the fun and easy part - putting them on the site takes a
considerable amount of work.

A site worth checking - Mask Makers Web:
http://www.maskmakersweb.org/

Caribbean Maskmaking Tradition as a Basis for Projects in Sculpture
http://www.barton.edu/SchoolofArts&Sciences/Art/galtalk/gordon/Lessonpl.html

Caribbean Carnival (info):
http://www.allahwe.org/History.html

Caribbean Carnivals - brief descriptions:
http://www.caribbeanchoice.net/carnival/main.asp

Dominican Republic Carnival Masks:
http://dominicanmasks.com/
Ivan Erickson masks - native of Dominican Republic - now US citizen):
http://dominicanmasks.com/gallery.html

Metal Masks from Haiti:
http://www.drexco.com/DrumArt/MAS.htm

Carnival Masks & Masguerade Mask in French and Italian Tradition:
http://www.finemasks.com/index.htm Lots of REALLY meat ideas.
Use wall paper and music scores for this idea - plus fabric trims
http://www.finemasks.com/vanetziabella.htm
Maybe add window screen for this idea
http://www.finemasks.com/pagliacci.htm

Venice Carnival Masks (small images):
http://www.venicemaskshop.com/default.htm

Venetian Carnival masks 0Gives brief history of Venetian carnival Masks:
http://www.anymask.com/masksofvenice1.html

Japanese Noh masks (gives brief information):
http://www.anymask.com/masksfromjapan.html

Carnival of Venice - a little history (browse the links to the left, too)
http://www.delpiano.com/carnival/html/history.html

Indigenous Dance/Drama/Carnival Masks fro Mesoamerica (Great site):
http://www.masksmesoamerica.com/
Look up some of the individual artists given on this site to learn and see
more.

Contemporary theater Maskmakers - look up some of these names to find
images:
http://arttech.miningco.com/library/bl_modern_mask_theatre.htm
Some background on theater masks:
http://arttech.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa110598.htm

Japanese Noh Masks (commercial site - by excellent):
http://www.pasar5.com/NOH_MASK/intro.html
Process on how a Noh Hannya mask is made:
http://www.pasar5.com/NOH_MASK/process.html
Oni Masks of the World:
http://www.pasar5.com/NOH_MASK/oni.html

How to make a plaster gauze mask:
http://www.mendels.com/mask.html

How to make a Liquid Laytex Mask (this is for Halloween - but certainly is
adaptable):
http://www.fxsupply.com/mask/mask.html

Mask Appeal -From Whence a Mask (brief information):
http://arttech.miningco.com/library/weekly/aa102998.htm
Cultural Masks (brief information China and Native Culture Masks):
http://arttech.miningco.com/library/bl_cutural_masks.htm

Modern Traditional Mask Makers - Pacific Northwest - look up these names for
images:
http://arttech.miningco.com/library/bl_cutural_masks_pacific_northwest.htm

Modern Maks makers - Look up these artists fro examples:
http://arttech.miningco.com/library/bl_modern_masks.htm

Lesson Plans for Mask Study and Creation
http://arttech.miningco.com/library/bl_modern_maskmakers_children.htm

Mexican Masks:
http://www.mexicanmasks.us/
a blend of mask relevant subjects directed toward both the traveled
collector of Latin American ethnic art as well as those interested in
Mexican culture.

Masks from Torres Strait (more to come on these):
http://www.abc.net.au/arts/artok/craft/s197254.htm

Mardi Gras Masks (commercial site - but might spark some ideas):
http://www.themaskstore.com/MardiGrasMasks.htm
Brief history of Mardi Gras:
http://www.mardigrasday.com/mardigras/history.php
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/mardigras1.phtml
Timeline of Mardi Gras History:
http://mardigras.neworleans.com/history.shtml
Mardi Gras Indians - brief information:
http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions/Festiva1/en/lsm/page3.html
Mardi Gras Indians Tradition and History:
http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/mardigrasindians/index.html
some images of Mardi Gras Indians:
http://www.geocities.com/stepper0/mardi-gars-indians.html
Some more images of Mardi Gras Indian costumes:
http://www.zymondo.com/mardigras/indians.html

Haitian Ceramic Masks:
http://www.mystique-art.com/masks.htm

Haitian carved mask:
http://afrodecor.com/cgi-local/shop.pl/SID=1055370972.810/page=haitian_natur
e_mask.htmHaitian

Haitian Drum Art masks (commercial site - good for foil tooling project
ideas):
http://www.art-ickles.com/store/1-Drum-Art-Masks.asp

More to come....Dawn, could you post your Mexican Mask links? Folks are
interested.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department