Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Puerto Rican Masks (and more)

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 12:05:34 PDT

Dawn is researching Art of Puerto Rico right now.... I just thought I would
start with masks. Save this email if you are interested - I will not be
posting all of these links on my site.

Neat Mardi Gras masks - photos by Scott Frey:

See Mexico Day of the Dead, too:

You might be interested in some of his other photo essays:

I will feature his site on Great Sites in the furture - post any good phot
sites you come across for me to include.

Heart of Imaginero: Little Wood Carver:
Inspired by the santos woodcarving tradition from Spain that flourished in
Puerto Rico during the 16th century - and is still a craft in Puerto Rico

El Museo Del Barrio:
- founded in 1969 by a group of Puerto Rican educators, artists, parents and
community activists in East Harlem's Spanish-speaking El Barrio.

Author-Illustrator Lulu Delacre (see Scholastic site if this link doesn't

Puerto Rican Carnival- Our Story in History:
Scroll down to Vejigante Masquerader - pdf file
book available:
Vejigante Masks and Figurines
A vejigante is a costumed character with Indian, European, and African
roots. The tradition is strongest in coastal towns where African slave
descendants originally settled.

About a Smithsonian Traveling Exhibition:

Afro-Puerto Rican Art - Raul Ayala
See more artists on the site:

Crafts in Puerto Rico (click on Masks along the side - other crafts too)

Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute- The Tainos of Puerto Rico:

Puerto Rico Lesson Plans for Kids:

What Masks Reveal - EDSITEment Lesson Plan:
Puerto Rican, African and Arctic masks.
See A Collectors Vison of Puerto rico:

Traditional Circle GAme from Puerto Rico:

Making Vejigante Masks in your classrrom (ideas) (brief info) (Folk

Fernando Luis Perez Lopez (try to find better images)
ory_Code=001EFer (I didn't take time to Tiny URL)

Vejigante Masks
ory_Code=001MVej (information)

Enjoy these kids masks! K-1 Vejigante papier mache' masks - Inspired by
book: Vejigante Masquerader by Lulu Delacre

Scroll down to Vejigante masks

Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute - Athe Art of Puerto Rico - Lesson Plan:

Yale New Haven Teachers Institute - Mythology: A Study of Puerto Rican Myths
legends and folk tales - Lesson Plan:

Crizmac Resources for Puerto Rico:

Those with more of an interest in masks of Puerto rico might want to
reserach the individual artists/craftsmen in the links above.

Watch for more Art of Puerto Rico from Dawn.

Here is one contemporary artist - too bad the images are watermarkded - Obed

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department