Puerto Rican Masks (and more)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 12:05:34 PDT

Dawn is researching Art of Puerto Rico right now.... I just thought I would
start with masks. Save this email if you are interested - I will not be
posting all of these links on my site.

Neat Mardi Gras masks - photos by Scott Frey:
http://www.scottfray.com/photoessays/mardimasks/mar0.htm

See Mexico Day of the Dead, too:
http://www.scottfray.com/MexPhoto/zmex1.htm

You might be interested in some of his other photo essays:
http://www.scottfray.com/planet/Pages/photohome.html

I will feature his site on Great Sites in the furture - post any good phot
sites you come across for me to include.

Heart of Imaginero: Little Wood Carver:
http://www.exitstudio.com/html/indeximag.htm
Inspired by the santos woodcarving tradition from Spain that flourished in
Puerto Rico during the 16th century - and is still a craft in Puerto Rico
today.

El Museo Del Barrio:
http://www.elmuseo.org/
- founded in 1969 by a group of Puerto Rican educators, artists, parents and
community activists in East Harlem's Spanish-speaking El Barrio.

Author-Illustrator Lulu Delacre (see Scholastic site if this link doesn't
work):
http://tinyurl.com/e25p

Puerto Rican Carnival- Our Story in History:
http://americanhistory2.si.edu/ourstoryinhistory/tryathome/activities_carniv
al.html
Scroll down to Vejigante Masquerader - pdf file
book available:
http://www.americas.org/store/product.asp?sku=8670
Vejigante Masks and Figurines
A vejigante is a costumed character with Indian, European, and African
roots. The tradition is strongest in coastal towns where African slave
descendants originally settled.

About a Smithsonian Traveling Exhibition:
http://www.sites.si.edu/exhibitions/exhibit_main.asp?id=76

Afro-Puerto Rican Art - Raul Ayala
http://www.mundoafrolatino.com/english/raulayala.htm
See more artists on the site:
http://www.mundoafrolatino.com/english/Arts.htm

Crafts in Puerto Rico (click on Masks along the side - other crafts too)
http://www.puertoricowow.com/html/craftspr.html

Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute- The Tainos of Puerto Rico:
http://www.cis.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1998/3/98.03.04.x.html

Puerto Rico Lesson Plans for Kids:
http://www.elboricua.com/BKlessonplans.html

What Masks Reveal - EDSITEment Lesson Plan:
http://edsitement.neh.gov/view_lesson_plan.asp?ID=310
Puerto Rican, African and Arctic masks.
See:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/vidal/carnival.htm
See A Collectors Vison of Puerto rico:
http://americanhistory.si.edu/vidal/index.htm

Traditional Circle GAme from Puerto Rico:
http://www.teachervision.com/lesson-plans/lesson-6753.html

Making Vejigante Masks in your classrrom (ideas)
http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/17_01/Maki171.shtml
http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/17_01/Veji171.shtml (brief info)
http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archive/17_01/Folk171.shtml (Folk
Festivals)

Fernando Luis Perez Lopez (try to find better images)
http://www.elcoquigifts.com/specialvejigante.asp
http://www.elcoquigifts.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EC&Categ
ory_Code=001EFer (I didn't take time to Tiny URL)

Vejigante Masks
http://www.elcoquigifts.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=EC&Categ
ory_Code=001MVej
http://www.elcoquigifts.com/maskvejigante1.asp (information)

Enjoy these kids masks! K-1 Vejigante papier mache' masks - Inspired by
book: Vejigante Masquerader by Lulu Delacre
http://www.arkcharter.org/kidsstuffhelen_vejigante_masks.htm

Scroll down to Vejigante masks
http://home.coqui.net/chilean/

Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute - Athe Art of Puerto Rico - Lesson Plan:
http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1984/3/84.03.08.x.html

Yale New Haven Teachers Institute - Mythology: A Study of Puerto Rican Myths
legends and folk tales - Lesson Plan:
http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1982/5/82.05.09.x.html

Crizmac Resources for Puerto Rico:
http://www.crizmac.com/online_catalog/store.cfm?step=results&scategoryid=65

Those with more of an interest in masks of Puerto rico might want to
reserach the individual artists/craftsmen in the links above.

Watch for more Art of Puerto Rico from Dawn.

Here is one contemporary artist - too bad the images are watermarkded - Obed
Gomez:
http://www.obedart.com/

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com