RE: Mexican masks

---------

From: LeAnn Escoffre (lescoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 11 2003 - 05:22:48 PDT

heehee hmmm. I remember as a young child, I watched wrestling with my
grandfather (who thought the action was real), and the high point was when
someone almost unmasked about the only guy who wore a mask at the time. Mr.
Wrestling #1 I believe. THis was sometime in the late 70's. I don't think
they "wrestlers" are making fun of masks. I think they are trying to entice
the public. TO make the public want to watch them, to wonder who they are.
It adds to the mystery and the allure? Wrestling has somewhat taken a
parallel to soap operas in the last few years, as they are full of who is
mad at who, who is teaming up with who, who is trying to steal who's woman,
who stabbed who in the back etc.

So. after all of my rambling I think wrestlers use masks as a sincere
continuation. They are using masks as part of the performance. :)

LeAnn