Re: Mexican masks - Zarco Guerrero -Chicano

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 22:12:18 PDT

Don't have an answer to you question.... but I just looked up Zarco Guerrero
(he has one image on the page you posted):
http://members.aol.com/zarkmask/ See some of his work.
I found lots of links to reference of his theater masks and performance.

Interview with Guerrero:
http://www.mjmgroup.com/Transcripts/Zarco_Guerro.htm

This is the image that is in the Chicano Art book:
http://www.uwrf.edu/history/prints/hisp/zarco-guerrero.html
lots of Hispanic artists listed:
http://www.uwrf.edu/history/hisp-amer-artists.html

Grandmother Death puppet:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~ifmls/usseafolder/victimsofV/pages/grandmadeath.h
tml
from Festival for victims of violence:
http://www.public.asu.edu/~ifmls/usseafolder/victimsofV/

California Ethnic and Multicultural Archives:
http://cemaweb.library.ucsb.edu/sculptures07.html
http://cemaweb.library.ucsb.edu/sculptures08.html
Take some time to browsefor more artists - some really nice work!
I like this Rupert Garcia Frida Kahlo:
http://cemaweb.library.ucsb.edu/4x6/res318md.jpg

Here is a neat sculptural "book" idea - could easily do this with kids
(maybe do personal heroes):
http://cemaweb.library.ucsb.edu/assemblage01.html
Wow - lots more ideas - I just checked through the assemblages.

See Latino Art in the community:
http://latinoartcommunity.org/community/LAC.html
Check out the book artists and print artists
http://latinoartcommunity.org/community/ChicArt/ArtistDir/ZarGue.html
Nice site! Mexican Revolution of 1910 and its Legacy:
http://latinoartcommunity.org/community/Gallery/1910/index.html

List of Chicana/o artists:
http://www.library.arizona.edu/users/juarezm/chicana/artists.htm

Herber College of fine Arts - scroll down:
http://herbergercollege.asu.edu/public_art/asu_west.htm

Some info on Guerrero:
http://arts.endow.gov/partner/Japan3.html