Mexican masks

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 20:56:25 PDT

Hi all-

I will preface this post be saying that it is probably
not at all what you were expecting to find...

I was doing some searching to find what was online on
Benito Huerta (p. 225 in Mixed Blessings for those of
you who I've heard mention it...) I have a lesson
using his work, but can't find visuals online.

I ran accross this book
 http://www.asu.edu/brp/promo/artbook.html

What I'm finding interesting is that there seems to be
some kind of over-the-top thing going on with the mask
tradition.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I have a book called Masks and the Art of Expression
that talks about the wrestlers wearing them in
something like our WWF and demasking the other seems
to be the high point of the match...

What I can't quite figure out is if there is a trend
of making fun of the mask tradition or if it is a
sincere continuation...

any takers?

Dawn