Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Long Post: curriculum plan help needed

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 15:30:51 PDT

Dear Lisa Ann,
There are excellent curriculum plan ideas in many of the standard art
textbooks designed for middle school kids. You can buy them at discount
prices at I wish I had had some of those textbooks
while I was teaching art in that San Franicsco high school. But that school
didn't have any art texts that I knew about. They expect teachers to know
enough about art to be able to teach without a text, I guess. That's
another example of a poverty-stricken public school. However, a person
without a credential in art might not be able to teach theory even with a
textbook, (like I am with chemistry). We have a School of the Arts, so kids
with any talent go there for high school, I guess. I can't remember if they
have a portfolio requirement: probably they do. They have a School of the
Arts in New York City too. I remember seeing a great video based on it, but
I don't remember the name of the video. Of course it was mostly about
performing arts, not art art! Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
Jean Womack