Long Post: curriculum plan help needed

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 15:30:51 PDT

Dear Lisa Ann,
There are excellent curriculum plan ideas in many of the standard art
textbooks designed for middle school kids. You can buy them at discount
prices at http://www.follett.com/ I wish I had had some of those textbooks
while I was teaching art in that San Franicsco high school. But that school
didn't have any art texts that I knew about. They expect teachers to know
enough about art to be able to teach without a text, I guess. That's
another example of a poverty-stricken public school. However, a person
without a credential in art might not be able to teach theory even with a
textbook, (like I am with chemistry). We have a School of the Arts, so kids
with any talent go there for high school, I guess. I can't remember if they
have a portfolio requirement: probably they do. They have a School of the
Arts in New York City too. I remember seeing a great video based on it, but
I don't remember the name of the video. Of course it was mostly about
performing arts, not art art! Please correct me if I am wrong about that.
Jean Womack

---