Re: framing

---------

From: Betty Bowen (albertbandura_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 09:05:30 PDT

A good painting (as I'm sure yours) deserves as good a frame as you can afford at the time. I never had a customer tell me they regretted what they spent to frame something well, but I had many bring things in they had framed cheaply in years past and ask for me to do it in something "nice".

Clips that help secure stretched canvas into frames are available in the 2003 Dick Blick catalog on page 212 (that's just the catalog I have at hand). They work fine for traditional frames, unless the moulding is too thick for the frame, in which case you need a "Rabbetspace" extender (pretty quickly available available at the website I list below)

I have used and been pleased with Dick Blick's relatively inexpensive ready-made gallery frames on page 218. I did a whole show in them while my frame shop was in storage (contract to do a show then store the shop - bad planning, couldn't help it) I used the cherry but the natural would give you the natural lattice-but-better look. They are deep enough for standard stretchers. I haven't used the Neilsen Bainbridge canvas frames on that same page but have used many of their products and have always liked them.

This website (Presto) has lots of moulding (length or chop), any possible framing supplies, wholesale prices*. They've been around a long time.

http://www.framingsupplies.com/index.html

For example, a 32 x 40 Crescent 100 rag mat 2-ply is $3.83, the 4-ply is $7.53 That's as good as any other wholesaler, minimum 25 regular-sheet thicknesses, can be mixed with any type mat or fome-cor, which is a reasonable deal.