Re: framing

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 06:02:42 PDT

The following are two methods for framing stretched canvas in wood frames, that allow the stretcher bars to expand and contract properly:

If the back side of the stretcher bars are able to fit recessed inside the frame, then brads pressed flush with the back side of the stretcher and driven into the edge of the frame is a good option. Most frame shops also have metal spring clips made to do this.

If the stretcher bars stand out from the back of a shallow wooden frame, then put screw eyes into the edge of the stretcher bars, and a screw through the eye hole then into the back of the frame. Another technique to secure a stretched canvas into a shallow wooden frame uses angled metal screw plates. They are available in a variety of sizes at hardware stores, with screw holes and two 90 degree angles, something like a straight 's'. One end is screwed to the back of the frame. while the other extends back and over the back edge of the stretcher bar.

Paintings on stretcher bars can fit into some metal frames, if they are designed to be deep enough for the thickness of the stretcher bars. The standard spring clips will then hold the painting to the front of the frame.

Good luck, Mark

Melissa <meemo@chaneys.net> wrote:
Just a stupid framing question. In college I learned about matting and
framing but not about framing a stretched canvas. How do I attach a
stretched canvas into a frame? Can I use a metal frame or should it be wood
where I just nail it in? I feel very stupid.

Melissa Chaney
Ray-pec High School
Raymore Peculiar Schools, MO