Building a Student's Art & Design Portfolio...

---------

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 10 2003 - 04:54:12 PDT

I've had a number of students graduate HS now and go on to universities to
study major/minor in art....art education, but its been a good number of
years since I last helped a student create a portfolio to compete for
entrance to Pratt or FIT in New York for fashion design. That was a pretty
intense focused effort...and the student was accepted out of 400 applicants,
seeking only 40 at that time. That was a feeling like no other to know you
helped a student fulfill a dream.

Now...I have a girl that after her junior year has decided she really loves
art and wants to go on to school for it. Specifically an art and design
school such as Milwaukee Institute for Art & Design or another similar.

I've contacted a couple for information...but I'll throw this question out
to the group here as well.

She'll be taking Independent Art courses this next year where we can focus
on helping her build a portfolio. Also a semester split between computer
graphic arts and photography w/darkroom development. Not a lot of time in
one year to build perhaps the best portfolio...however, she did this past
year win best of show in an eight school district end of the year art
exhibition here in northern Wisconsin. That no doubt will help.

Any advice as to what you might know with any certainty the kind of
diversity or mix of stuff that would make a good portfolio focus for this
student? I gave her about a dozen catalogs of art and design colleges and
institutes to pour over this summer. To see the kinds of projects and
directions she might anticipate and be interested in. Thanks.....!!!

Larry Seiler
Laona...WI

---