Re: Art and Technology - Calder

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 15:06:34 PDT

Hi Judy -

I don't have any images for this unit I did, plus I
don't have way to get permission for them at the
moment. (I have the three powerpoints I used to teach)

But I'll share anyway. I did this with 6th grade
students - it's pretty basic.

----------
I think I started with a general discussion of what
art is and where we find it...

The first day I introduced some of Calder's
untilitarian works - the airplane, a hammock, the
spoons and utensils he made for his house, and his
wife Louisa hooking a rug for their house.

We also talked about shapes - organic and inorganic
shapes.
----------
The next day we went to the lab. We looked at Calder's
sculptures and mobiles.

Students learned about repitition and overlapping.

We then had a lesson on the paint and draw tools.
Students were required to use the icons to create
geometric shapes and had to use the freedraw tool to
create their own organic shapes.

Students then learned how to copy and paste and resize
their shapes.
-------------

The next day we returned to the lab to create our own
utilitarian designs.

(I designed this as a webquest before I found out that
the lab was not online...)

We looked at Calder's sculptures again and talked
about balance and point of emphasis.

Students then began working independently. Some
classes took 2 days to complete their designs; others
took 3.

They had to print out a blackline version of their
design (we didn't have access to a color printer) and
then went back and colored it using paint tools and
textures and saved their final image.
-----------
Students were then required to write and
proposal/artist's statement saying what the designs
were intended for and how they went with Calder's
work.

This was followed by our first critique.

---------

After this I used Calder's wire stulptures to lead
into contour drawing.

Hope this helps someone-
Dawn