Contemporary African Art and Crafts

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 13:26:57 PDT

I got to snooping around on the site that has the telephone wire baskets
from South Africa http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_africanart_main.html
Scroll down to baskets - see five pages of images - plus more in the
archives. Toys from recycled materials are fun too....There is some
interesting contemporary and tradtional arts and crafts on the site.

I particularly liked the work of Twins Seven Seven - etchings:
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_africanart_twin77.html

Here are more examples of his work:
http://www.theoctobergallery.com/twinsprof.htm
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/African_Studies/Smithsonian_GIFS/Twins.html
http://arts.ucsc.edu/sesnon/exhibitions/princetwins77/
http://www.africart.tv/shtml/nigeria.shtml

I also liked the aluminum relief of Asiru Olatunde and family. Great to show
your students for repousse projects. One year, my seventh graders made foil
tooling for the top of their ceramic boxes.
http://www.indigoarts.com/gallery_africanart_olatund.html
more examples of his work:
http://www.cloudband.com/frames.mhtml/magazine/articles4q00/mark_pissarra_bo
nhams_1000_.html
or http://tinyurl.com/dvgm
http://www.africart.tv/shtml/nigeria.shtml (scroll down - larger image has
it by a different artist)

A Concrete Vision: Oshogo Art from the 1960's (Olatunde is one artist
featured)
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/oshogbo/index.htm
view the all - see JIMOH BURAIMOH mosaic table.Twins Seven Seven is featured
too.

Yekini Folorunso Repousse frame
http://www.africart.tv/shtml/mirror-big.shtml

Judy Decker - Ohio