Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Contemporary African Art and Crafts

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 09 2003 - 13:26:57 PDT

I got to snooping around on the site that has the telephone wire baskets
from South Africa
Scroll down to baskets - see five pages of images - plus more in the
archives. Toys from recycled materials are fun too....There is some
interesting contemporary and tradtional arts and crafts on the site.

I particularly liked the work of Twins Seven Seven - etchings:

Here are more examples of his work:

I also liked the aluminum relief of Asiru Olatunde and family. Great to show
your students for repousse projects. One year, my seventh graders made foil
tooling for the top of their ceramic boxes.
more examples of his work:
or (scroll down - larger image has
it by a different artist)

A Concrete Vision: Oshogo Art from the 1960's (Olatunde is one artist
view the all - see JIMOH BURAIMOH mosaic table.Twins Seven Seven is featured

Yekini Folorunso Repousse frame

Judy Decker - Ohio
Incredible Art Department