Re: Pencil Sharpener guaanteed Keep the box

---------

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 19:28:23 PDT

Is the Boston sharpener by Sanford that you all mention the heavy one
that you can change cutting sizes and has a huge carrier for the
grindings? I remember that it cost around $100.00 unless you order by
adding it to a bid.

I had one for over 20 years. I added another and kept 2 going at a
time in case one went down.

A few of you mentioned that you have been disappointed that they quit
working before the school year was out. The trick is that it is
guaranteed and will be repaired for free just by shipping it "home".
Keep the box and packing stuff, pack it, call the company and send it
in. This can take a few weeks which is why I keep an extra one on
hand.

Don't ever open it and try to fix it yourself because it is designed
to be opened at the factory. If you or the helpful custodian opens it
it comes apart in different ways and only the factory can repair it.
I have lost 2 when a sub asked the custodian to fix it. When it was
opened and didn't work it landed up in the garbage.

This is a powerful cutter so the kids can eat up your whole pencil
supply in a short time. I always let them sharpen their own pencils
but the good colored pencils were put in the "to sharpen" can and a
fresh one taken from the supply box. It takes seconds for a reliable
volunteer to refresh the worn down pencils. (I could never understand
the appeal of standing at the sharpener with glazed eyes grinding
pencil after pencil down to the eraser!)

----------
>From: "Susan Holland" <Susan_Holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu>
>To: "ArtsEdNet Talk" <artsednet@lists.pub.getty.edu>
>Subject: Re: Pencil Sharpener Advice
>Date: Fri, Jun 6, 2003, 7:19 PM

> I've had a Royal Power Point that I got at Sam's and I used it for a couple
> of years. I also had one of those Boston School Pros with no problems.
Then again, I almost never let kids near them. I kept a bowl full of
sharp
> pencils and told them to trade for a different one if they broke leads or
thought their one wasn't sharp enough.
> susan_holland@teachnet.edb.utexas.edu

---