Middle School - basic elements/principles lessons -more

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 11:50:05 PDT

Dear Middle School Art Teachers,

Many on my survey were looking for short term projects for elements and
principles of design. Here is site that can give you ideas for sixth grade.
You might be able to adapt some to seventh and eight grade:
http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/LakeWorthMS/Departments/Art/art_index.htm
(Looks like the teacher does the same projects every year)

I thought this was a good project that would work for elementary, too:
http://www.palmbeach.k12.fl.us/LakeWorthMS/Departments/Art/01_02_Art/Silh/Si
lh_Thumbs_01.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/drx5

Also -- go through Larry Prescott's site - many good lessons for 5th - 6th
and 7th grade:
http://mms.d321.k12.id.us/Web%20Art/index.htm (his lessons would take more
than one class period)

Ed Hanlon has some basic lessons on his site:
http://myschoolonline.com/site/0,1876,18001-204501-21-53907,00.html

Pop art self portraits (seventh grade):
http://www.eaur.wnyric.org/LINKS/Teacher/Walleshauser/website/Pop%20Art.html
or http://tinyurl.com/ds1c

Mosaic sculpture (interesting paper mache - sixth grade)
http://www.eaur.wnyric.org/LINKS/Teacher/Walleshauser/website/ARtwork/Mosaic
%203D
or http://tinyurl.com/ds1d

Fun ceramics project - Chess set design:
http://www.eaur.wnyric.org/LINKS/Teacher/Walleshauser/website/Chess%20SEt.ht
ml
or http://tinyurl.com/ds1f

This looks like fun --Kachina Sculptures with found objects/beads etc:
http://www.eaur.wnyric.org/LINKS/Teacher/Walleshauser/website/Kachina.html

Click on Student Gallery to explore more from this school:
http://www.eaur.wnyric.org/LINKS/Teacher/Walleshauser/website/art.html

Cardboard relief - use Frank Stella as inspiration:
http://www.libertyhill.txed.net/schools/Middle%20School/middlesc/Cardboard%2
0gallery/index.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/dryf

Paper mache (ones towards the bottom - unpainted look best):
http://www.libertyhill.txed.net/schools/Middle%20School/middlesc/Papier%20ma
che%20Gallery/index.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/dryz

Collage watercolor (use Kandinsky and Pollock):
http://www.libertyhill.txed.net/schools/Middle%20School/middlesc/Paintings%2
0Gallery/html/watercolor%201.htm
or http://tinyurl.com/drz9

These clay relief projects from Breck School are really nice! I am featuring
this school next month:
http://www.breckschool.org/website/newweb.nsf/0/e165c991fc62363486256b2e006f
cfdf?OpenDocument
or http://tinyurl.com/drzv

Here is site you might want to check:
http://www.sahuarita.k12.az.us/site/sms/smsart/index.html
I like being able to view thimbnails but most of the projects here you have
to select by student name....
Check the Kachina dolls and abstract faces projects (seventh grade)

Wire sculptures:
http://www.rivertrailmiddleschool.org/studentwork/art2/

If you find examples of short term projects teaching the elements and
principles of design - please post to the list so my survey respondents can
see them. I will save all and compile and make available to anyone who wants
them.

I am done searching the web for basic lesson ideas.....let's see what others
come up with. If anyone has images to share for basic lessons - send to
Jdecker@woh.rr.com

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department