Math and Art Interactive sites for kids

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 08 2003 - 09:01:29 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Many are looking for math-art integration lessons. Here are some sites/links
with art/math related activities. Save this email for future reference. I am
not sure how I am going to put these on my site. I am saving it to run an
Art/Math feature on Great Sites for Kids. I am definitely linking the Long
Island Children's Museum to the Just for Kids page. Some of these links are
already on my site.

Long Island Children's Museum:
KaleidoDraw (radial balance)
http://www.licm.com/noFr.f/KalNF.html
Use KaleidoDraw with Mandala sites (select from my Sacred Geometry page):
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/geomath.htm
Borderliner (pattern - reflection - symmetry)
http://www.licm.com/noFr.f/BordNF.html
Use this Borderline activity with this site (on my Art-Math-Science and
Textiles page):
http://mathforum.org/geometry/rugs/
Quiltmaker (pattern, repetition, reflection, rotation)
http://www.licm.com/noFr.f/quiltNF.html
Use Quiltmaker with this site (on my Textiles page):
http://www.womensearlyart.net/quilts/

Isometric Drawing Applet (tie in Victor Vassarely)
http://illuminations.nctm.org/mathlets/isometric/index.html

Byokal Kaleidoscope (radial balance - reflection - symmetry)
http://www.zefrank.com/byokal/kal2.html

Virtual Manipulatives: Tessellations (pattern, rotation - experiment to see
which shapes will tessellate)
http://matti.usu.edu/nlvm/nav/frames_asid_163_g_3_t_3.html
Another Pattern block tessellations (on my Tessellation page):
http://ejad.best.vwh.net/java/patterns/patterns_j.shtml
http://ejad.best.vwh.net/java/patterns/patterns_i.shtml (instructions)
This will help students understand what geometric shapes tessellate (on my
Tessellations page):
http://www.coolmath.com/tesspag1.htm

Fun - Online demonstration for Translation Tessellation by Jim McNeill (on
my Tessellations and Jim McNeill pages):
http://www.jimmcneill.com/demo.html

Six sided Snowflake (radial design - science - math) - On my
Math-Art-Science page
http://www.explorescience.com/activities/Activity_page.cfm?ActivityID=14

Enchanted Mind Java Puzzle: Tangram
http://enchantedmind.com/puzzles/tangram/tangram.html
http://matti.usu.edu/nlvm/nav/frames_asid_292_g_3_t_1.html (hold corner to
rotate)
More Tangrams online (found from a link on my Art-Math-Science page):
http://www.mathsyear2000.org/games/Tangram/
http://www.tangram-digital.de/solo.html (takes a while to load - drag
corners to rotate - have them match up the puzzle - then create their own)

Virtual Manipulatives: Pentominoes:
http://matti.usu.edu/nlvm/nav/frames_asid_114_g_3_t_2.html

Building Big - math -science - architecture (problem solving activities) -on
my Architecture page
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/buildingbig/index.html

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com