Mural tips needed

---------

From: LeAnn Escoffre (lescoffre_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 15:01:41 PDT

Well its almost the last day of school and we are already discussing what is
going to go on next year. I'm really excited because I got to pick the kids
who will be in my daily art class for a whole year. I am also a little bit
nervous because my principal wants me to do a mural. I think that will the
main focus of what we will work on but I want it to be nice. I was thinking.
Into to design, what's effective or not, little talk about elements and
principals. Decide what to do the mural on. I was thinking the kids could
brainstorm to come up with ideas. Propose them to the client (me) make
changes as needed. Etc. then do sketches. I guess thumbnails then life size
with kraft paper? Should I cover anyhting else? Maybe some drawing. Human
figures etc. I am a second year teacher and I feel pretty confident that I
have picked a great group of kids. There will be 7th and 8th graders. I
want to use panels as they can be hung and moved as needed. And I'm guessing
we need to gesso and then use what kind of paint? acrylic? My principal said
he would supply but we are a small district with a tight budget. Also they
are talking about another mural in the cafeteria, but they play a lot of
ball games in there and it has to be okay for the balls to bounce off the
walls. (FOr example the panels might get wrecked or somehting. WOuld it be
better to just paint directly onto the walls?) ANy advice of tips would be
greatly appreciated. All of my other classes are set (as to what I am going
to do with them), I'm just trying to prepare myself for this mural advanced
class ahead of time.
Thanks,
LeAnn

---