lunch with Thacher Hurd

---------

From: MAK ~ MaryAnn Kohl (mak_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 11:20:24 PDT

Fun for me! I went to Thacher Hurd's book signing at Village Books, here in
Bellingham, Washington...I was one of the only ADULTS there. So afterwards,
invited him to lunch in the adjoining cafe. What a fun time! He is the
author & illustrator of Art Dog, Moo Cow Kaboom, and lots of other books.
His father was Clement Hurd (illustrator of Good Night, Moon - and much
more) and his mom was Edith Thacher Hurd, a beloved children's book author.
When I was about 22, I wrote to his dad for advice on becoming an
illustrator (back when I thought I could draw pretty well - though I now
realize I'm only a barely talented at all). What fun for me to share that
letter with Thacher...and meaningful for him too, I think. Anyway, it was
extra nice to give him a copy of Storybook Art that has a page about his dad
in it. He was very pleased to have his dad remembered by all of us.

Hey, I'm almost ready to send out the copies of Storybook Art to those
people who contributed! Give me a few weeks to get all my ducks in a row...I
am waiting for mailing boxes to arrive...and a new catalog to slip in with
the book.

This weekend, I'm having all the kids over who contributed artwork to the
book...that is about 50 (count them, 50!! - plus their siblings and
families) - mostly second and third graders. We have a bouncy castle rented,
and will be serving hotdogs and cake and fruit ... I'[m looking forward to
the honoring ceremony where the kids get their books and see their published
art for the first time. It will be very special for me...I love kids, and
they deserve to be honored. I like to think that things like this might
influence their lives and future careers in a positive way.

Have a great weekend, everyone!! Wish me luck with cooking 150+ hotdogs!

Anyone in the Bellingham area this Sunday June 8, let me know. I'll give you
driving directions and you can come by and gorge on barbecued weenies and
smooshy white bakery cake. MMMMMMM.

MaryAnn

PS Bellingham is 1.5 driving hours north of Seattle...and 45 minutes south
of Vancouver, BC.

=======================
   mak@brightring.com
    www.brightring.com