Marsden Hartley -symbolism - portrait (elements and principles)

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Wed Jun 04 2003 - 10:05:59 PDT

I will be featuring this site on Great Sites in September (sites to aid the
teacher - art curriculum - etc)
http://www.artsconnected.org/artsnetmn/theme.html (thanks Kevan for pointing
it out)
This Web site contains more than 50 artworks from the Walker Art Center, The
Minneapolis Institute of Arts, the Frederick R. Weisman Art Museum, and the
Minnesota Museum of American Art.

I like the selection of pieces they chose to show "portrait/identity"
http://www.artsconnected.org/artsnetmn/identity/hartley.html
I think it would be fun to come up with out own images to add to these
(Vincent VAn Gogh's bedroom, his chair....we could come up with a pretty
good list).

I used Marsden Hartley (American Painter, 1877-1943) in a unit on symbolism
with 4th graders and 6th graders (we used numbers too for math integration).
The project was radial balance/symmetry (used stained glass windows and
Charles Demuth "The Number 5" too - Lesson is on IAD added to Larry's on
radial design)

Some Marsden Hartley links:
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/hartley_marsden.html
http://hudson.acad.umn.edu/Hartley.html
http://www.askart.com/artist/H/marsden_hartley.asp (have to be a member to
see all of the images)
http://www.kgny.com/biographies/marsdenhartley.html (biography)
http://www.kidsart.com/IS/437.html (Kids Art History on Imagination Station)

I think this would be a great artist to use to introduce elements and
principles of design. I can see using oil pastels (maybe even on black paper
with a glue outline). My project used markers - but I think oil pastels
would give a look like Hartley's paintings.

If anyone has images of student work using Marsden Hartley - please send
them my way.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department