Re: Castles and Dragons

---------

From: Mark Alexander (markcalexander_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 07:04:40 PDT

I have done a few "castles and dragons" oriented projects at different grade levels. Here are a few ideas.

The easiest to do with 4-6 year olds might be to begin by reading the book St. George and the Dragon. I don't have my copy here right now, but do a search and you'll find it. It's a great tale from which my students have gathered inspirtion to create illustrations...in crayon resist, in watercolor, in pen and ink, and collage from prepainted papers al la Eric Carle.

Another thing I've done with grades k and 1 with castles and dragons begins with Paul Klee's color square paintings. I show them the Klee works and then students make rough grids on paper with crayons. Then they paint each square a different color that they mix from the primaries. Later we cut them out in the shape of a castle, glue them to a sky colored paper, then draw and/or paint landscape and a dragon.

The Getty has a lesson on St. George and the Dragon related to illuminations that looks promising, although would have to be adapted to your younger aged kids. http://www.getty.edu/art/collections/objects/o2964.html

I also did another group project (we made pyramids) that could be adapted to castles and dragons....make lots of cubes of clay, air dry clay would work, then make a castle out of them.

Another direction on castles and dragons might be tapestry, such as the TAPISSERIE DE BAYEUX, or the Bayeux Tapestry. http://hastings1066.com/baythumb.shtml It is an Anglo-Saxon historical record created in the 11th century. It is 70 meters long and 50 centimeters high and retraces the history of the Conquest of England by William the Conqueror. Studying the tapestry and the story is fun, and although I don't see dragons, there are a lot of castles. Perhaps a long rolled paper mural 'tapestry' could be made by your students that illustrated a story they wrote about castles and dragons.

Just some ideas. Good luck.

Mark