Re: John Biggers

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 19:39:26 PDT

Sorry folks - that last message got away from me.... I wasn't supposed to
send it. Check out Getty ArtsEdNet for lots of John Biggers images:

http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/images/Biggers/gallery1.html
(4 galleries of images)
http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/resources/Biggers/index.html
Get the images saved to your computer this summer - thye may not decide to
keep them online.

http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/biggers_john.html (Artcyclopedia)
http://www.mfa.org/exhibitions/biggers.html (Museum of Fine Arts Boston)
http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/online/biggers/ (John Biggers Aunt
Dicy Tales)
http://www.artgallery.umd.edu/driskell/exhibition/sec4/bigg_j_01.htm
(Quilting party - this one took a while to load)
http://www.abufineart.com/biggers1.htm (some lithographs and other prints)
http://www.aaregistry.com/african_american_history/816/John_Biggers_brought_
african_influence_to_art
http://tinyurl.com/db9b (biography)
http://www.rogallery.com/biggers_john/jbigghm.htm (Ro Gallery - prints)
http://www.liunet.edu/cwis/cwp/library/aavaahp.htm#biggers (biography)
http://www.nmafa.si.edu/exhibits/dialogue/biggers.htm (brief biography and
one image)
http://www.handgraphics.com/Resounding_Heart/John_Biggers.htm (print "At
Risk"
http://www.art.unt.edu/ntieva/artcurr/alsp/biggers.html (Starry Crown)

The John Biggers Video is excellent too.
"Stories of Illumination and Growth: John Biggers' Hampton Mural" (approx 29
minutes--Hampton University Museum 1992)

This video takes the viewer through the construction and painting of two
10'x 20' canvas murals for Hampton University. John Biggers was a graduate
of Hampton. He was inspired to pursue an art career by Victor Lowenfeld.
Biggers used imagery from African art as well as patterns from African
American quilts in the creation of these rich allegorical paintings. He is
aided by his nephew. Biggers is an inspiration...and a great "story
teller". He is proud of his cultural heritage and expresses such in his
work. Biggers provides a great role model for youth today.and another
resource to "tap" for mural artists.

(reviewed by Judy Decker)

I have been meaning to do this search for a while now....

Judy

From: Jhirunrtx@aol.com
Subject: Re: Recommended artists & cultures- John Biggers

Do you have any images you can share with us ? I've seen an article of one
he did in Houston. And you're right. Its awesome! Janet ---

---