Great Site for Middle School - and Mask Site

---------

From: Judy Decker (jdecker_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 16:24:57 PDT

Dear Art Educators,

Mark Alexander posted Mask Makers Web to the World list:
http://www.maskmakersweb.org All who do mask projects should check it
out......from this site, I found the great site for middle school - The Arty
Factory:
http://www.artyfactory.com/sitebody/gallery1.htm

There is a section on Egyptian art
http://www.artyfactory.com/egyptianart/index.htm with a lesson on how to do
tempera batik (one section shows all different Egyptian Crowns - I know some
of you like to do Egyptian style self portraits)....another section, African
masks http://www.artyfactory.com/africanmasks/index.htm gives a nice
overview of styles and reasons for masks of Africa - shows a few examples
(graphics not photos- but still good enough for kids to get the idea) -- and
there is a short quiz. The hands on project is a positive/negative space
design (one exactly like I did with 6th graders and 3rd graders)..... and
the third section is on drawing pencil portraits
http://www.artyfactory.com/portraits/index.htm (has tips on proportion). I
will save this to feature as a Great Site in an upcoming month. I will be
putting a link to it from Art Education page under Lesson Plans -- and will
also list it on Just for Kids. The Mask section I will link on the lesson
plans and on African Art. Give me some time to get all of the links posted.
Bookmark the site for now if it is one that interests you.

This is the kind of site respondents to my survey are looking for...Please
post others you come across in your surfing. High school students may even
get some enjoyment from the portrait demonstration.

Judy Decker - Ohio
Jdecker@woh.rr.com
Incredible Art Department
http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/