Re: visual culture and equity

---------

From: Jayna Huffines (jayna_99_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 10:24:19 PDT

Another really good book for this is Contemporary Art and Multicultural Education by Kahan and Cokur. It has lesson plans and color photos.

Jayna

Jarsawyer@aol.com wrote:
I'm interested in recent articles referenced by the NAEA in their spring issue, Teaching Visual Culture: Environment, Issues, Empowerment, & Skills. The only book I was familiar with on the biblio was Berger's Ways of Seeing.

Have any of you taught art through a "visual culture" curriculum? If so, how have you dealt with issues of equity re: who's art gets shown in major museums of fine art and who's gets placed in anthropological exhibits? Which artists come to mind for you in a curriculum unit like this? Mixed Blessings by Lucy Lippard is a great book, but I haven't found much in the way of slides or videos dealing with the artists she writes about.

Any help with this subject would be greatly appreciated and I'll share with the list the results of your responses.

Thanks! I love this list!

Julie