curriculum mapping

---------

From: jw (jmwjeann_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 06:42:58 PDT

--
Hi Ellen if you're around.  I could not help smiling like Charlie Brown
when I read your 'cynical' comment about curriculum mapping.  I cannot
help you except to commiserate.  We're going through something similar I
think -- Our school has purchased and 'bought into' a new software
package guaranteed to align all of our curricula inch by inch with
national and state standards, not to mention Bloom's (my head aches and
I experience a flashback to college education courses).  Now, don't get
me wrong; I have copies of all the above and refer to them faithfully as
I plan my year, quarter, whatever, because I believe that these
references contribute to the seriousness w/which administrators perceive
art classes/teachers.  However, it's this plugged in, cubby hole
approach that drives me crazy.  What is it about the word 'alignment'
that makes my skin crawl?  Well, I just thought I'd let you know that
you are not alone in your temporary (we hope) cynicism.  I've been
trying hard to be the good team player on my campus (because I am one of
the older ones and seen accurately to be a stick in the mud), and this
list  might be my only opportunity be a curmudgeon.
I'll look forward with copy click finger ready to all the constructive
replies you'll receive.  I need all the catch phrases and avant garde
stuff I can gather.  (I've got time; they're starting with 'core'
subjects -- you know, the ones what really matter.)   J.
---