Substitute Lesson Plans

---------

From: Jean Womack (jeaneger_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Mon Jun 02 2003 - 00:20:02 PDT

I like the lesson plan where you trace the outline of the hand and fill each
finger with a different texture or pattern. They can also draw animals or
people in the hand. They usually say they've done it before, so I say that
great artists draw and paint the same thing over and over, like Monet's
haystacks, so please do it again. One girl drew a "save the animals"
picture in her hand. Also, for an ordinary drawing, they can use a postcard
sized piece of paper, which they can usuallly fill up in 45 minutes. And
some ask for another one. Also, I have begun telling them that I work for a
completely separate department in the district that has nothing to do with
their teacher's job. I just get sent there because the teacher wanted to
take a day off, for whatever reason and my being there has absolutely no
relationship to layoffs (which are happening all over San Francisco). Maybe
the site sub had something else to do. They seem relieved to know that and
they try to do some art work. I like substitute work. I get to see the
whole city (San Francisco) and learn a little bit about the personality of
the different schools. Sometimes I even find someone in the teacher's
lounge who will talk to me. Maybe some day someone will retire and they
will need me to teach art full time. Meanwhile, it's better than being
chained to a desk all day.

---