Find Lesson Plans on! GettyGames

Scout Report - June 28, 2002

From: BJ Berquist (berquist_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sat Jun 29 2002 - 17:18:41 PDT

5. Whither Music IR Evaluation Infrastructure: Lessons to be Learned
TREC [.pdf]

Dr. Ellen Voorhees, of the National Institute of Standards and
has submitted an online copy of her keynote paper for the Music
Retrieval/Music Digital Library (MIR/MDL) evaluation workshop. This
presentation is a part of the Joint Conference on Digital Libraries
(held in
Portland, Oregon July 14-18), and discusses background information of
Text REtrieval Conference (TREC) and its possible use as a MIR/MDL
evaluation model. More specifically, this seven-page paper "describes
processes used in the TREC evaluations to create information retrieval
evaluation infrastructure, reviews assessments of how appropriate the
evaluation methodology is for TREC tasks, and makes suggestions
the development of an MIR/MDL evaluation framework based on TREC
experience." Available in Adobe Acrobat (.pdf), this paper is primarily
those with a concentrated interest in MIR/MDL evaluation issues and a
general interest in IR/DL evaluations. [MG]

11. Secrets of Lost Empires: Pharaoh's Obelisk [Shockwave, QuickTime]

>From PBS and WGBH Boston, this companion Website to the NOVA program
"Pharaoh's Obelisk," (scheduled to rebroadcast on July 23, 2002)
material from the show with fun features including two games (requiring
Shockwave): How Big Were They, which uses an object to measure the
weight of
an obelisk in elephants; and Lever An Obelisk, which attempts to lift an
obelisk using as few blocks as possible. The "Nova Raises an Obelisk"
section of the site uses stills from the TV program and text to
the NOVA crew's attempts to erect an obelisk using two Egyptian methods;
that works and one that does not. There is also a QuickTime virtual tour
Egypt; a link to a 1999 NOVA trip to Egypt; Resources, both Web and
print; a
map and a time line of the Pharaohs; and a teacher's guide to using the
program in the classroom, with printable and online activities. [DS]

>From The Scout Report, Copyright Internet Scout Project 1994-2002.

Forwarded by:
BJ Berquist
Associate Educator, TAPPED IN