Re: high school art program

---------

From: craig roland (rolandc_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 19:13:50 PDT

>Could Craig or "someone" clarify what a personal vision or voice may
>be in a High School Art Student? Examples would be good- for
>clarity.
>Thanks,
>Kathy in Kalamazoo ---

Kathy -- My first reaction to your request was to think, "Well, the
work just has something special about it." But, on futher reflection
I thought "Okay, what DO I mean by this phrase?"

I used this phrase in my last message to attempt to distinguish between:

>student work that appears to be done largely from classroom
>assignments vs work that appears to be done on the student's own
>initiative.

>student work that is largely derivative vs work that shows some
>originality of thought or special way of seeing the world or working
>with materials.

>A student's portfolio that consists of a smattering of work done is
>different media vs a portfolio that shows a deeper understanding of
>a particular medium and how to manipulate its properties for
>artistic purposes (that shows up consistently across a body of work.)

it's interesting to me that this question would probably not come up
among the faculty here at UF (or elsewhere?) who review 100s of
portfolios each year for admission to our undergraduate and graduate
programs and new faculty searches. While some portfolios do
generate discussion between faculty, for the most part, faculty
look it portfolios individually when they can schedule a block of
time. Yet, there is perhaps remarkable consistency among faculty
regarding their portfolio selections. The strong work just seems to
rise to the top of the pile?

Hope this clarifies my eariler message.

Craig

CRAIG ROLAND Associate Professor of Art Education
School of Art and Art History - University of Florida
PO Box 115801, Gainesville Florida 32611-5801
Art Ed Office: 352.392.9165 Fax: 352-392-8453
homepage: http://grove.ufl.edu/~rolandc/homepage.html
visit the @rt room at: http://www.arts.ufl.edu/art/rt_room/

---