Re: high school art program

---------

From: KPRS (KPRS_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 21:10:42 PDT

Could Craig or "someone" clarify what a personal vision or voice may be in a High School Art Student? Examples would be good- for clarity.

Running the risk of sounding like the infernal broken record, I will explain how this concept is developed in my advanced art classes. Frequently I will throw out a title of the painting, and all must come up with a thesis statement for that title, and rough sketches. So for example, last year one of the titles was "Choice". Christine F, decided that she was going to do a painting on what choices a pregnant teen has. Her thesis statement was something to the effect of "some choices are hard to make". She did a black and white painting with values (in acrylic) after many many many preliminary sketches. As the viewer we are seated across from the pregnant teen in a subway. Next to us (the viewer) is a young woman engrossed in her reflection in a compact, on the other side is a another young woman reading a romance novel. Across is the subject of the painting, obviously pregnant. Her eyes avert ours. She wears a cross around her neck. Separated, but next to her is a young child reaching out to her with one hand, and holding her mother's hand with her other hand. The mother is standing, a strap hanger on the subway, oblivious to the young pregnant mother. To the left is one of the doors of the subway, and leaning against it, but away from the girl is a young man. Above the girl, where there are advertisements, she has painted advertisements for the humane society, and a got milk ad campaign, as well as the Catholic Charities number. Outside of the window, we see comuters on the platform as the train pulls out. We also see a very blurred image of an planned parenthood poster with the 800 number. Christine F, explains her choices for the painting by saying she wanted the metaphor of the train pulling out of the station to say that the choice of abortion is not a choice for this young teen, but there still lies the choices of keeping the child (the got milk ad, and the child pulling towards her), or adoption (the catholic charities ad, and the girl primping and the other girl reading the romance novel).

And this painting was done in the realistic style....

And Christine F. is not going on to school for art, she is going on to school to be a veterinarian.

San D

---