Re: high school art program

---------

From: Judie (judiej50_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Thu Jun 27 2002 - 03:57:05 PDT

Thanks so much for reiterating what we need to be concentrating on at the
HS level. This also supports the idea of the AP Art classes as an excellent
discipline and foundation toward reaching these goals.

There was a recent thread on AP Art, and I have done my share of
complaining about the stringent requirements, with no support in the
explanation of their grades. However, the portfolios required by the AP
program are exactly what you outlined below.

Thanks for the support, and I would like to see more opportunities for
direct dialogue between the HS and college levels. Any ideas as to how we
can encourage this?

Judie

>Generally speaking, I'd suggest that students wishing to pursue a BFA
>degree in art should have excellent slides of 15-20 pieces in their
>portfolios that not only show some skill development in a particular media
>but perhaps more importantly a "personal vision" or "voice." While drawing
>from observation would certainly receive attention from most art faculty,
>a student pursing a degree in say photography wouldn't necessarily be
>judged on her or her drawing ability.
>

>Craig

---