Re: high school art program

---------

KSchiavo00_at_TeacherArtExchange
Date: Wed Jun 26 2002 - 08:09:39 PDT

In a message dated 06/26/2002 6:55:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
whest177@wheatstate.com writes:

> So when they attend college and wish to take an art course are they again
> going to be left behind?

As an elective- no. However, I do not know of any people who have not taken
Art courses in high school and who changed their major to Art in college. I
do know of people who didn't finish HS and practiced/produced art on their
own -then got their GED and entered college as an art major with a variety of
work in their portfolio- BUT that was a long time ago and I don't think it is
that easy anymore unless you have lots of $$. Colleges are overcrowded and
they're becoming very picky who they accept (ie. act/sat scores, grade point
requirements etc.) Many (but not all) colleges require student portfolios to
review before accepting them in their program. If you don't have any work to
show- your out of luck. Many are specific in what they want to see- but in
general, they are looking for 10-15 pieces that displays a student's "direct
observational" skills, basic understanding of composition and E&P, and
thematic development (which is often displayed in sketchbooks). They do
then, start from scratch -as someone said earlier- but they move along
quickly and expect the kids to retain the understanding on a higher and more
intellectual level. So those who are unable to keep up often become 5-6 year
students who change their major. Having 12 quality pieces in a students'
portfolio gives a good indication that this student is well disciplined and
will make it through a quality college art program. In the end, all of the
schools I am familiar with -either requires the student to go through a final
portfolio review or have a formal show (20+ pieces) before they graduate from
the program. There is a lot of competition out there and kids must know
what is required of them to succeed.
Kathy in Kalamazoo

---