Re: high school art program

---------

From: Cindi Hiers (suwanneecrew_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Tue Jun 25 2002 - 07:00:38 PDT

Carolyn, first of all congratulations! You will enjoy
the high school age, and they will enjoy you. Once
response mentioned "they want to know all the
information you do" and I will ditto this comment. I
teach hs, I was new at it 2 years ago, and I can tell
you I love it and the students cram to get into my
classes. The students are full of energy, love to
create, and they (for the most part) enjoy talking
about their work (critiques). Because I did not have
any "formal" experience teaching art at this level I
taught the way my drawing professor taught at the
college level. It worked, and I felt comfortable. The
learning level is obviously lower than college level,
but don't talk down to them---they can handle it, what
I did to help them "keep up" was keep my
notes/examples on the board for the time of the
project/lesson so they could refer to the board (or I
could refer to the board) for guidance/confirmation.
As far as the lecture goes, they always got a good
long one at the beginning of each lesson. The students
knew it.I would put on classical music low in the
background, stop every-so-often and ask if they were
still with me, and if someone would start talking
during the lecture I would stop--tell them this will
take longer if they continue to talk----and they would
chill out. After a few of these at the beginning of
the year the kids new what was up, even kids comming
in from other classes (be ready for that part too)
would see me lecture and come in quietly, sit by their
friend and listen too. I would say sometimes "just a
bitmore, or almost done" during the lecture. Once I
had a lecture the whole block (100 minutes), I was
pooped by the end of that day, so were the kids, and
we all laughed about it the next class session. Also,
get a good sketchbook system. I wish you the best of
luck, and enjoy yourself. I will be glad to help in
anyway. This list is MARVELOUS, use it too. And
Carolyn, a question for you: What did your college
students know comming into your classes? What did you
want them to know? What could us high school teachers
do for these kids to help their college years (I know
portfolios, but what about the student who goes on to
school without a portfolio). My high school art
teacher was poor, I don't want that for my kids.
Cindi