Re: teaching/professional portfolio

---------

From: dawn stien (dawnstien_at_TeacherArtExchange)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 16:33:49 PDT

Hi again -

Thanks for all of the responses so far - I think I
have some pretty good direction. I definitely have a
clearer vision of the priorities. Someone had
previously asked for interviewing tips here and those
reponses were helpful too. Motivating reluctant
students has come up a couple of times, too. I think
I'm OK on the administrative end. Typing and
including my teaching philosophy and classroom
guidlines will help me begin to polish some of this
information (thanks Susan Holland!). Since I have
been teaching in the private sector, I have a pretty
established teaching philosophy.

I have been accepted into a university program that
will allow me to be an intern on a probationary
certificate in lieu of soing student teaching, but I
have to find my own placement. Some of your responses
have made me dread the idea of student teaching a
little less - I am beginning to see it as a valuable
experience. The big problem is that I took a $10,000
paycut when I became a teacher six years ago. I am
finally almost back to my previos salary, and choke on
the idea of having no money coming in. I actually
have to consider not getting state certified at this
point, if it comes down to it...I just don't know what
happens with my coursework.

Hence, my desire to have the right things in my
portfolio!

Thanks again to all - Dawn